2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I seriously doubt a pickup swap (especially from passive to active with the requirement of some minor routing work) would take less time than changing strings, cleaning a fretboard, or adjusting the truss rod.
    Missed this earlier, but with a Floyd so you can just pop the bridge out to do the swap, if you know what you're doing, it's absolutely faster to swap a pickup than to clean a fretboard. I promise. Adjusting the truss rood, unless it's way off, probably not, but changing strings... I'd have to time myself, but again, if you're on a floating bridge and include the time to stretch out the strings, it'd probably be pretty close. It's surprisingly easy to do.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Missed this earlier, but with a Floyd so you can just pop the bridge out to do the swap, if you know what you're doing, it's absolutely faster to swap a pickup than to clean a fretboard. I promise. Adjusting the truss rood, unless it's way off, probably not, but changing strings... I'd have to time myself, but again, if you're on a floating bridge and include the time to stretch out the strings, it'd probably be pretty close. It's surprisingly easy to do.
    I'd agree that changing strings on a floating bridge is a serious pain in the ass, but I got a lot faster at it over the years. I remember it took me over an hour to change strings 14 years ago when I got my first guitar with a floating bridge (it was actually one of the reasons I created an account at ss.org. I wanted to learn any tricks to getting the DAMN strings to stay in tune ), but I changed the strings on that same guitar before I sold it earlier this year and it only took about 30 minutes. After I sold all my guitars, I had decided that my next guitar was NOT going to have a floating bridge. I might get one sometime in the future, but it'll not be because I want a floating bridge, but just because a guitar that I want happens to unfortunately also have a floating bridge. I can change the strings on my current hardtail guitar in about 15-20 minutes. I've never done any major truss rod adjustments, as I'd probably never buy a guitar that needed them and I can't imagine how a guitar I owned could ever get that far off. Cleaning a fretboard (not including the time of taking off the strings or putting new strings on) takes 5-10 minutes max.

Long story short, I think you're exaggerating a bit.

I still haven't had any time to play with my new pickups since last Friday when I got it, but my huge deadline for work is tomorrow (and 2 smaller deadlines the same day), so I'm planning on spending a couple hours on Saturday playing this thing and adjusting my preset settings / creating some new presets.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I can change the strings on my current hardtail guitar in about 15-20 minutes. I've never done any major truss rod adjustments, as I'd probably never buy a guitar that needed them and I can't imagine how a guitar I owned could ever get that far off. Cleaning a fretboard (not including the time of taking off the strings or putting new strings on) takes 5-10 minutes max.

Long story short, I think you're exaggerating a bit.
    I don't know how you're cleaning your fretboard, but if you're doing the polish frets/scrape, oil, and 00000-steel-wool the fretboad thing, that's at least a 30-45 minute job. And I'd be surprised if I couldn't swap a like-model humbucker in 15-20 minutes. I promise man, it's way easier than you think it is.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I don't know how you're cleaning your fretboard, but if you're doing the polish frets/scrape, oil, and 00000-steel-wool the fretboad thing, that's at least a 30-45 minute job. And I'd be surprised if I couldn't swap a like-model humbucker in 15-20 minutes. I promise man, it's way easier than you think it is.
    Ah, I don't do steel wool. I do the polish frets/scrape and oil (lemon oil personally), but never messed with the steel wool. I imagine that adds a lot of time to the process, but is it worth it? I've never done it, so I have no idea if I'm missing out on something. Is it supposed to clean off stuff that the oil can't? Because the oil alone gets my fretboards looking and feeling pretty clean (and smelling nice too ).

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Sure looks prettier when ya steel wool the frets

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I polish mine with 0000 wool, too, when I do a cleaning. I took an old credit card and cut a fret-sized slot into it to use as a mobile mask. Makes it a quick job, just like brushing the frets, really, not really cutting/scraping/grinding/etc.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Garrett will likely be along in a moment to extol the virtues of Gorgomyte. I tried it last time I cleaned a rosewood board and was very impressed, it is a lot easier to manage than steel wool, and the results were essentially comparable from what I could see.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge