Behold! A PAF Pro 7! (with clips vs. the original PAF7)

Thread: Behold! A PAF Pro 7! (with clips vs. the original PAF7)

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Behold! A PAF Pro 7! (with clips vs. the original PAF7)

This is NOT a production pickup, before anyone gets excited - I'd wanted one forever and got excited when I saw a few on endorser guitar spec sheets, emailed Dimarzio, but they wouldn't do it. However, one of these popped up for sale for only marginally more than a regular Dimarzio would go for over on Jemsite, so I jumped on it. I assume this came out of an endorser guitar, but I have no idea whose.

And then it sat on my desk for more than a year, while I waited for a free weekend day to do the swap and shoot some video.

I actually had to take off the stock strings on this RG and set it up with 10s to shoot this, which means this is a guitar I should probably sell, but while this is eventually going into my Suhr (along with a Blaze, Bridge Pickup of the Gods), I wanted to do a proper A/B comparison against the production PAF7.

Presented without comment for the time being, save that I actually was surprised how well the PAF7 works in the bridge, having owned this guitar for 2-3 years and probably played it less than an hour.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Hm, they both sounded great (and I played a set of DiMarzio PAF7s for about 9 years, so I'm definitely a fan), but I didn't think the difference was that significant. It was more noticeable with distortion, I think, but even then not too much of a change. I felt the PAF7 Pro sounded a bit "thicker"? Regardless, great pickups, great tone, and great playing.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

You should start experimenting with a fuzz pedal into the clean channel for leads. It would suit your material.

I have the Carcosa and heavily recommend it. But any Gilmour fuzz would suit you. You can certainly go ultra spendy on the vintage EHX ones Gilmour used if that's your speed.

I think all of the gain stuff you are doing here would be more interesting with a fuzz into a clean channel. IMO.

The Catalinbread RAH would also suit you, though that's not a fuzz.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I think all of the gain stuff you are doing here would be more interesting with a fuzz into a clean channel. IMO.
    The man has a really good point.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Eric Johnson definitely has a signature "singing leads" fuzz out that is corksniffery enough to grace the expensive Suhr->Mark V set up.

It doesn't get more cork sniffery than Eric "Can hear the differences between different brands of 9 volts" Johnson.

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Eric Johnson definitely has a signature "singing leads" fuzz out that is corksniffery enough to grace the expensive Suhr->Mark V set up.

It doesn't get more cork sniffery than Eric "Can hear the differences between different brands of 9 volts" Johnson.
    You forgot hearing the paint on the top of the trem block or the material that the neck attachment screws are made of

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Eh, this particular tone has a hair more high end buzz than I'd really normally go for, I'd think for my usual lead sound moving the SM57 a hair further away from the cone would go a long way. I've actually never really loved the fuzz lead sound, to be honest.

Naren - I do think the PAF7 is a bit more noticably mid-heavy distorted, while the PAF Pro 7 is a little more balanced, but they're more similar than I'd have expected. Clean, the PAF Pro seems a little more open to me, as well, but again, these are subtle differences.