Too Many Pickup Options - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Too Many Pickup Options

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    The N&S seem fucking stupid
    I did a review of a Jericho over on /7/ that had one in the bridge. Not my favorite Duncan, but not bad. At least it has character, unlike the very bland and pointless Pegasus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

I liked my Nazgul 7 for awhile, was able to get a really stark, cold tone with it which was great for doom/death stuff - nice & crisp and it chugged like thunder. Then I got the bright idea to completely re-work all my amp/rig settings to chase a different tone and was never able to dial it back in the same way - must have let the magic out of it... so I sold it. Then I had a Pegasus with the ceramic magnet swap and it was cool, til the novelty wore off and I sold it.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & Yeti

My go to passive set for what you describe is the bulldog black label set.

7 sets available via email order.

They work amazingly well with the triaxis too.

I prefer the 'beast' variation that he custom wound for me though alnico 8 bar magnet with ceramic flankers.

Very tight thick with loads of attack but less of the fizz that you usually get from a purely ceramic pickup.

That one was wound for a very specific guitar though that I was having trouble getting the right pickups for.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    http://backline-audio.tk/

Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: MMJP6
    MA: Larrivee
    MB: BTB 776 with Nordstrand
    Rig: 5150III 50W

There are definitely too many pickup options. I hadn't looked in years and I recently perused the usual suspects. I find the sheer amount of John Petrucci signature pickups comical. I can't even remember how many there are. It's like Dimarzio are going with the NEW PRODUCT release strategy. Just churning them out to keep sales going. Seymour Duncan has the same thing going on. Plus signature pickups in general seem to be a thing now, but that might not be bad because pcikups companies might need some collaboration from artists to get in touch with whats needed. Bareknuckle has the most reasonable amount of options and the best demo clips, but the demos still are sometimes not so great. I don't have a few thousand bucks laying around just to try pickups until I find the perfect one.

My two major issues with the guitar pickup business:

1. The amount of different options is a huge turnoff for me. Either some of them sound terrible or they all sound too similar because there's just no way there needs to be that many.

2 The sound samples for pickups like all other guitar gear sound like mostly useless complete ass. I cannot tell how something sounds over the internet until someone who knows what they're doing gets their hands on it. And often times that means a professional recording where the gear used becomes known and not youtube or the manufacturers site. Nothing beats me actually having it and trying it.

That said I haven't tried that many, but here are what I've had good experiences with and if anyone has recommendations for me based on what I'm saying here that would be awesome:

Dimarzio D sonic with the bar facing the neck. It's extremely dynamic and huge with good low end response, feel and eq balance. Only thing that isn't perfect is that it has this slight grain to it. The palm mutes on that sucker are pretty satisfying other than that slight grain.

Lundgren M7/M8. Pretty nice. It has a similar eq to an EMG 81 in that it hits the amp just right and it has a perfect texture to it, but has massive dynamic slam and attack. Hard to complain about anything but it's definitely clinical, but a rowdy kind of clinical. Hard to explain.

Seymour duncan Jazz neck pickup. Beautiful clean tone and beautiful coil split sound that legit sounds like a nice single coil. It's just really good and inexpensive too. I don't know about using it for metal leads. In my own music I mostly use the neck for clean tones and I'm not picky about high gain lead tone whatsoever because it seems so easy to get a good sound compared to getting good metal rhythm tone.

EMG 81(Love/hate). Hate playing this pickup. HATE THE FEEL. The compressed nature of it and low amount of dynamics can make it seem tiny. But it can sound so good in a mix. But I just can't put myself through using them. They tighten and modernize saggier amps like MESA, work well with 5150/6505, but over tighten and sterilize super modern amps like the 5150III. They're polarizing for a reason. They're both awesome and terrible. I actually prefer them at 9v, because running 18v they sound more slammed and noisy to me. I pretty much want to eliminate these even though they sit a mix so well, they make me not want to make a mix for them to sit in.

I have my eye on:
    Painkiller
    Aftermath
    Nailbomb

But the hell if I can tell anything in the kind of detail I would like from the demos. I can just tell they're all pretty good, but I don't get how they respond to the type of playing I do. I want something similar to the lundgren, but different or better in some way.

I already ditched the Black Winter - too ice-picky/shrill for my tastes. Allegedly it works great when you down-tune into the basement, but I don't so, out it goes.

Finally ordered an Elysian Trident from Adam and hopefully I'll have it in the next week - can't wait to give that one a go and hopefully get off the pickup swap merry-go-round with my 540SLTD...

I've been listening back through my SAW entries to find songs to put on my album and two of the ones I'm going with both had the Nazgul as the main pup, and man, I loved that tone I was getting. But, I love the Custom and Imperium more. The ceramic Pegasus not so much...

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

Oh wow I had no idea Elysian was making pickups now. Thats pretty awesome.

After all this talk in this thread I am probably gonna go “fuck it, Blazes” to be honest
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    Oh wow I had no idea Elysian was making pickups now. Thats pretty awesome.
    Yeah, I have yet to find a customer of theirs that doesn't rave about the pups. The sound samples online are few and far between, but that's to be expected since they're not churning out pups like Seymour Duncan, or marketing hype like Fishman.

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

The description of their Javelin model sounds interesting. Will have to seek out clips.