Lower height single coil? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 22

Thread: Lower height single coil?

  1. #9


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    DiMarzio single coils come in different height dimensions, and not all will fit in the middle slot of an HSH Ibanez that has a trem route in the back. Hopefully these help





    Thank Jim - that's very helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I mean, I'm only half joking. Just knock'em down. You won't affect the performance of the pup too much. At least, not that you're worried about it seems
    Honestly, if I never used it again I wouldn't lose any sleep. I'm just not overly confident in my ability to cut into the wood without destroying the guitar.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

    iTrader: 10 (100%)

    I also have this problem when playing metal with a middle pickup. It does not affect me when playing in the cover band, though.

    There are some really, really short traditional single coils out there, particularly some of the Fenders from the late '80s/early '90s and the vintage style Kent Armstrongs. Maybe try one of those?

  4. #11


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Helsinki, Finland
    ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

    iTrader: 0

    I don't think I've ever used the middle pickup in any of my guitars and barely use neck humbuckers for anything = there should be more guitars with a H-S configuration.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #12


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

    iTrader: 10 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I don't think I've ever used the middle pickup in any of my guitars and barely use neck humbuckers for anything = there should be more guitars with a H-S configuration.
    Oh, the 2 & 4 positions on a Strat are some of the greatest guitar tones in history, but I'm all over more hum + single guitars.

  7. #13


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Just use a dummy pickup or a cover. That's what Ritchie Blackmore does. The guitars you buy stock from Fender are like that.



    A lot of players drop the middle single all the way, I certainly do.




    Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I don’t want to take it out and have the Sabre look all ghetto,
    That's what spare trem springs are for.


  8. #14


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I also have this problem when playing metal with a middle pickup. It does not affect me when playing in the cover band, though.

    There are some really, really short traditional single coils out there, particularly some of the Fenders from the late '80s/early '90s and the vintage style Kent Armstrongs. Maybe try one of those?
    Have any models to search for? Wouldn't know what to dig up on Reverb or eBay...

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I don't think I've ever used the middle pickup in any of my guitars and barely use neck humbuckers for anything = there should be more guitars with a H-S configuration.
    Yeah, if I'm honest I'd be happy with a stable of 1hum 1 knob guitars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Just use a dummy pickup or a cover. That's what Ritchie Blackmore does. The guitars you buy stock from Fender are like that.



    A lot of players drop the middle single all the way, I certainly do.

    That's what spare trem springs are for.

    Good idea on the fake cover. That second pic is too small on my end, what am I looking at?

  9. #15


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Good idea on the fake cover. That second pic is too small on my end, what am I looking at?
    Page Hamilton from Helmet pulls the single coils out of his guitars. Sometimes he just leaves the route empty, sometimes there is a trem spring stretched between two screws in the cavity. I think some of the LTD "faithfully relic'd" signatures (horrible looking relicing unfortunately) have it.

  10. #16


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

    iTrader: 10 (100%)

    Honestly, the fake cover is the best idea if you're flat-out not using it. Certainly the cheapest!


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge