Lockdown hobbies - pickup experimentation - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 30

Thread: Lockdown hobbies - pickup experimentation

  1. #9


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    I may be able to post something today. The Dragon 1 seems to record pretty well, by the way.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: London ONT
    ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Am I the only one who doesn't think that the D1 doesn't look low
    ________________________________________
    Needs Sleep

  4. #11


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think that the D1 doesn't look low <img src="https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/images/smilies/laugh.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Laugh" class="inlineimg" />
    It's about 1/4" below the string! Very few pickups will give you anything useful set that low.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #12


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Here's a comparison clip, featuring the main riff for the new song I'm working on--so please don't steal my nice Metallica rip-off riff!!.

    The first go-round is Soloist Sr. with the JBJ, and then the second go-round is Soloist Jr. with the Dragon 1. I've double-tracked them and used the crunch amp on Archetype Plini as the plug-in--same plug-in, same settings on both. I prefer to do comparison clips with actual production sounds rather than going for "amp in the room" stuff that doesn't actually show whether the thing being demoed is usable for anything.



    I also added bass guitar through Parallax for context. Drums are one of the SSD5 Deluxe 2 metal kits with no additional processing. No mastering fx or reverb/delay etc., but I did do some EQing on the bass (and used the built-in graphic EQ in Plini for the guitars).

    Both guitars have fresh sets of 10-46 strings tuned to D Standard.

    The JBJ gives that classic mid-spike that helps cut through, while the Dragon 1 has tons of luscious chug. I raised the height of the Dragon 1 up to about the same height as the JBJ so that the level comparison would be valid.

    Edit:

    Here is a short clip of quad-tracking them together. Damn, they blend well. I didn't spend a lot of time fine-tuning the amps--I mostly just dialed back the amp gain a little, and put more mic emphasis on the 57 for the JBJ and on the 121 for the Dragon. More work on the amps would probably yield even better results.

    Last edited by jacksonplayer; 04-05-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: More fabulous content

  7. #13


    Join Date: May 2011
    Location: Wakefield, UK
    ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & Roadkill 2x12

    iTrader: 2 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Here's a comparison clip, featuring the main riff for the new song I'm working on--so please don't steal my nice Metallica rip-off riff!!.

    The first go-round is Soloist Sr. with the JBJ, and then the second go-round is Soloist Jr. with the Dragon 1. I've double-tracked them and used the crunch amp on Archetype Plini as the plug-in--same plug-in, same settings on both. I prefer to do comparison clips with actual production sounds rather than going for "amp in the room" stuff that doesn't actually show whether the thing being demoed is usable for anything.



    I also added bass guitar through Parallax for context. Drums are one of the SSD5 Deluxe 2 metal kits with no additional processing. No mastering fx or reverb/delay etc., but I did do some EQing on the bass (and used the built-in graphic EQ in Plini for the guitars).

    Both guitars have fresh sets of 10-46 strings tuned to D Standard.

    The JBJ gives that classic mid-spike that helps cut through, while the Dragon 1 has tons of luscious chug. I raised the height of the Dragon 1 up to about the same height as the JBJ so that the level comparison would be valid.

    Edit:

    Here is a short clip of quad-tracking them together. Damn, they blend well. I didn't spend a lot of time fine-tuning the amps--I mostly just dialed back the amp gain a little, and put more mic emphasis on the 57 for the JBJ and on the 121 for the Dragon. More work on the amps would probably yield even better results.

    Sounds great. Much prefer the JB out of the too but both sound good.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    https://toboy-diy.blogspot.com//

    Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM

  8. #14


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Here's a comparison clip, featuring the main riff for the new song I'm working on--so please don't steal my nice Metallica rip-off riff!!.



    Here is a short clip of quad-tracking them together.
    Dig 'em both, but really like them mixed together. Flesh that out with a complimentary bass tone and you've got a monster foundation for your songs.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

  9. #15


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    In the end, I put the stock Jackson pickup back in until I can rip out the preamp and rewire it. The sound was muffled and too hot with the Dragon, but then I got the same result when I stuck a PAF Pro in there. That told me the problem was the preamp not the pickup, since the PAF Pro is bright and not very high-output. The J50BC seems to be the only pickup this preamp likes.

    I may try the Dragon in Soloist Jr. once I've got passive wiring in it. I recall the Dragon sounding great in the old Washburn MG that it was in when I got it.

    For now, I'm going to stick with the JBJ on this album, since I'm not looking to quad-track it.

  10. #16


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

    iTrader: 10 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    In the end, I put the stock Jackson pickup back in until I can rip out the preamp and rewire it. The sound was muffled and too hot with the Dragon, but then I got the same result when I stuck a PAF Pro in there. That told me the problem was the preamp not the pickup, since the PAF Pro is bright and not very high-output. The J50BC seems to be the only pickup this preamp likes.
    You mean it's the only one that doesn't sound like complete shit with it?

    That's one reason they sound like ass without the preamp, but you should know that shit should be ripped out immediately.

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge