Lockdown hobbies - pickup experimentation - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lockdown hobbies - pickup experimentation

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    The eariler oversized version with the period correct raised lettering is out there, but almost no one has ever seen one.

I believe every Charvel Model 2 and 3 had one. There are plenty of them out there. They were all passive setups.

AFAIK, the only J-90C's that would have been paired with any of the active preamps would have been on someone's misguided custom shop order. The Model 5's and Rhoads Pros that had the JE-1200 preamp had a J-80C in the bridge, but I've never heard of it being used with the J-90C.

FWIW, my own US-made J-90C never had a plastic cover. In fact, I believe pickup production had switched to Japan by the time the plastic covers were being used.

Jackson pickups were only made in the US for about a year or so. Once the IMC sale went through in early '86 or so, Jackson boxed up the spare parts and shipped them over to Japan for manufacturing. That's why a lot of their late '80s pickups that say "Made in USA" were actually made in Japan. There are ways you can tell. The black finish on the slugs and screws (for the non-covered ones) is different, and the screws on the underside are smaller and black on the USA pickups. Supposedly, the problem with the Japanese pickups is that they used metric-gauge wire, so the windings are all way different.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I thought we were talking about US orders. Yeah, I've only had the one they load in MIJ guitars. Regular sized version. Not a US Oversized one as part of a full set up with the JE units and shit.

They're out there, but you don't see that many up for sale.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Supposedly there are all kinds of differences.

But the caveat about that is that, the people who like Jackson pickups aren't necessarily sane, so you have to take their anecdotes with a grain of salt.

I've seen a few raging debates about how to tell if a Jackson pickup is MIA or MIJ. If there were even MIJ ones in an era, etc. etc. etc.

Which is a big question, because that effects the value of the pickups. MIJ is only worth $4, MIA is worth at least $7.50.

I've sold a couple Jackson pickups, the ones that were desirable enough to sell, the others get thrown away. JE units too.

People who buy Jackson pickups absolutely do care if it came from an MIA guitar. There have been a couple MIA ones I bought where I just pulled the entire harness with the pickups and the shielding plate and people were going nuts over it. It's insane.

Although if you are selling Jackson parts from that era there is a 50% chance it is going to be to AlienXNation, so he can relist them for something criminal on ebay. The other 50% will be some dude in a country you have never heard of who will ask you if you are selling anymore and then they will say something like, "PUT THEM ALL IN A BOX AND SEND THEM TO ME".

AlienXNation is weird, because half the time he buys your shit to flip he'll buy it under the AlienXNation name, and the other half he'll have an unconvincing alias account.

I have no problem selling it to AlienXNation, if he is crazy enough to sit on a $2.50 pickup for years listed at $130, good for him, but it's really fucking bizarre when it's one of the alternate accounts or another less prolific Jackson reseller and they pull the old,

"I am a blind Grandmother on disability who has always yearned for a Jackson pickup in memory of my dead son. Here is a message that totally doesn't make it obvious I think I have just suckered the deal of the century out of you, you ignorant fool. You don't know what treasure you have."

At least 40% of Jackson pickup sales will be to someone who totally thinks you don't know what you have. It's hilarious.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Quote Originally Posted by Überschall View Post
    Will get a list up tomorrow!
    Well tomorrow finally came...

https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...ghlight=timber

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Quote Originally Posted by Toe-Knee View Post
    Sounds great. Much prefer the JB out of the too but both sound good.
    The Dragon sounds underwater after hearing the JBJ... and I'm not a JB fan.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    I thought we were talking about US orders. Yeah, I've only had the one they load in MIJ guitars. Regular sized version. Not a US Oversized one as part of a full set up with the JE units and shit.
    The ones with the oversized covers were apparently mostly, if not entirely, Japanese. Even the ones in the USA Jackson guitars.

The oversized covers were just glued on; I've removed a number of them. Unfortunately, the pickups underneath usually have two rows of slugs rather a row of screws. Very odd, like everything else Jackson tried with electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Überschall View Post
    The Dragon sounds underwater after hearing the JBJ... and I'm not a JB fan.
    I'm not sure that's really the Dragon, though. It's the JE-1200 preamp. A PAF Pro I put in afterward sounded almost exactly the same. I'm eager to try out the Dragon in another guitar with passive wiring--I recall it sounding fantastic in a cheapo Washburn that I got on eBay. It's why I kept the pickup even after selling the guitar years ago.