Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Magnet swapping a Custom 5?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
Ive got a Duncan Custom 5 here that i just put into my PRS SE. Its the third time ive installed a Custom 5 in a guitar (all different guitars) and each time ive not liked it (dont know why i keep trying it). I find its lacking something. So im going to mag swap and turn it into either a custom or a custom custom.

So from what i can tell a Alnico 2 will make it a custom custom, and a ceramic will make it a custom. Im also going to try an Alnico 8 as that seems to be a popular choice on the SD forum.

But would anyone know what length magnet i should get (2.444 or 2.50 inches)? and should it be a polished magnet? I'm buying from Addiction-FX on ebay and have asked him, but thought id ask elsewhere to.

And is there anything else i should be aware of, or other magnets i should try?

Cheers!

#2 ·
So my google-fu kicked in. Seems the polished 2.50 magnets are the right size/sort for the Duncan Customs. Couldnt get polished Alnico 8 magnets but that seems to be common. So i ordered A2, A3, A8 and Ceramic. Will try them all and see what i like best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.