Magnet swapping a Custom 5?

Thread: Magnet swapping a Custom 5?

Magnet swapping a Custom 5?

Ive got a Duncan Custom 5 here that i just put into my PRS SE. Its the third time ive installed a Custom 5 in a guitar (all different guitars) and each time ive not liked it (dont know why i keep trying it). I find its lacking something. So im going to mag swap and turn it into either a custom or a custom custom.

So from what i can tell a Alnico 2 will make it a custom custom, and a ceramic will make it a custom. Im also going to try an Alnico 8 as that seems to be a popular choice on the SD forum.

But would anyone know what length magnet i should get (2.444 or 2.50 inches)? and should it be a polished magnet? I'm buying from Addiction-FX on ebay and have asked him, but thought id ask elsewhere to.

And is there anything else i should be aware of, or other magnets i should try?

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

So my google-fu kicked in. Seems the polished 2.50 magnets are the right size/sort for the Duncan Customs. Couldnt get polished Alnico 8 magnets but that seems to be common. So i ordered A2, A3, A8 and Ceramic. Will try them all and see what i like best.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

2.5, and I don't think polishing makes the slightest bit of difference - unless you're doing the slide-out and not disassembling the pickup to install it. Then the polished version is quite a bit easier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

...and for the record, I've never liked the C5, either, and I also keep trying it. So you're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    2.5, and I don't think polishing makes the slightest bit of difference - unless you're doing the slide-out and not disassembling the pickup to install it. Then the polished version is quite a bit easier.
    Great, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...and for the record, I've never liked the C5, either, and I also keep trying it. So you're not alone.
    I keep thinking maybe it will sound good in *this guitar.. nope still to fizzy with no real character, just like the in last guitar i tried it in.

Quote Originally Posted by spilla View Post
    I keep thinking maybe it will sound good in *this guitar.. nope still to fizzy with no real character, just like the in last guitar i tried it in.
    I had one in a Jackson SLAT3-7 and it sounded OK. That guitar had so much low mid that it was super-dark, though. That's the only time I've come close to liking it.