Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Seymour Duncan Hot Rails neck position

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jacksonplayer 
#1 ·
I finally got around to removing the last vestiges of the crappy Jackson electronics in my Soloist Jr., replacing the neck pickup with a Duncan Hot Rails neck model that I happened to have laying around in my parts bin. I'd bought it brand new years ago for a project I can't even remember, so it was nice not to have to buy another pickup at the moment.

This sounds very nice and shreddy matched with the Wolfetone Timbre Wolf in the bridge. the Hot Rails neck is not over the top high output like the bridge version; it reminds me of a somewhat more compressed version of the JB Jr. Quite a bit of low end oomph for a SC-sized HB, and it will do high-gain lead tones very well.

I've got a set of 11-52s on Soloist Jr. tuned down to C Standard for the "melodic doom shred" album I'm working on, and both pickups give all kinds of nice gooey gain at that tuning.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had one of these in that GR4 and was pleasantly surprised by it. Most of the humbucker singles I've used are kind of a nasally version of the full-sized but the Hot Rails had it's own sound to it. Would definitely consider using it again.

#5 ·
I've got a Duncan Designed version of the hot rails in the neck of my SL3X (and another one in the middle, actually). I wasn't so keen on the bridge humbucker, that's been replaced, but I think the DD rails sound really good. I've always been a neck humbucker kind of guy, but I'm not missing it at all with these

#7 ·
I've always been a neck humbucker kind of guy, but I'm not missing it at all with these
Same here. It's the first neck small HB I've tried where I don't feel like it's missing something for soloing. The JB Jr. is also very good, but this is even more "humbucker-ish".

Excellent pickup. I have a strat with 2 hot rails and a cool rail. All with a split option.
I've used a Cool Rails with some success before, but I can't remember the context. The Hot Rails bridge version is great for turning a regular Strat into a screamer. I had a G&L years ago that the previous owner put a Hot Rails into, and it was awesome for metal soloing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.