Classic Rock Pickups For Tele - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic Rock Pickups For Tele

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

I can tell you that the Pearly Gates seems pretty decent - I put one in the bridge of my ash telecaster. My setup is a little different than yours because I went with a full-size humbucker (Pearly Gates) neck. I kept all of the OE stuff (which was all Texas Tele) just in case I didn't like it.

There was conflicting word as to whether to go with 250k pots and .047 cap (the original setup) even with the humbuckers, but I'm happy I went 500k and .022.

The Pearly Gates Tele, on paper, looks like a fairly hot pickup, but it's not dry or sterile like you'd expect and doesn't sound overly hot.

It's responsive to the volume pot and the tone pot makes a hell of a difference as it's set up. Without an overdrive, the volume can push my Supro 1970RK to a mild breakup or roll off to a nice, sweet ring. The tone pot can go from damned bright to almost a muffled mud. Sweet spot for me is rolling it back about 2 or 3.

IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT MAKE YOUR TELE SOUND LIKE A LES PAUL. You can get a really nice growl with an overdrive and some volume, (obviously, I'm not using a high gain amp) but you still know this is a Telecaster an not a mahogany Paul. I can't explain it other than to say that most of your Tele honk is gone but there's still some background chime.
    Last edited by Assault Bacon; 06-27-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements