Classic Rock Pickups For Tele
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Rock Pickups For Tele

Classic Rock Pickups For Tele

Hi Guys,
    I got a american standard 2014 tele with alder body and im playin it through vintage marshall jcm800 2204 (50watt).
    playin mostly anything from pop rock to blues and classic hard rock
    lookin for good humbucker or noiseless bridge pickup (dont care for tele twang for this guitar)

i narrowed it down to :

SD BG1400
    SD lil Pearly gates for tele
    SD lil 59
    Dimarzio Chopper T
    Dimarzio tone zone T

lookin for sounds like robben ford, steve luakhter, larry carlton,lynyrd skynyrd,joe bonamassa
    and i need to be able to play some classic rock riffs like acdc zeppelin zztop

i liked the PG for tele spec since it has alnico but theres not lot of info or good youtube reviews

im gonna pair it with my twisted tele neck first if it doesnt work im gonna change the neck to mini hum or humbucker

lookin for your suggestions
    thanks
    Last edited by marshallmel; 06-23-2020 at 06:23 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

BG1400 is HOOOOT like hottest of the hot. Its also supposed to have some of that Tele twang.

The other SD littles are ok but not quite 1:1 for the full size humbucker.

I havent tried the DiMarzios but the chopper T is used by Richie Kotzen to good effect.

If you are looking to just have a little more beef and a little less twang, but dont mind the noise, I would recommend the Tele Texas Special. its over wound, works great for classic rock and isnt as twangy but will cut thru in a mix.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

I have a Chopper T in one of my Teles, and it sounds really good. Nothing like a Tele really lol, but I have another Tele for Tele sounds
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If you are looking to just have a little more beef and a little less twang, but dont mind the noise, I would recommend the Tele Texas Special. its over wound, works great for classic rock and isnt as twangy but will cut thru in a mix.
    I'm using a Shin Kicker from Tone Hatch, which is basically a Texas Special clone, in my Tele for my cover band. It'll hang with humbuckers. They're $36.

https://reverb.com/item/32133745-ton...d-scatterwound

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

No one ever brings up the Dimarzio Fast Track but they sound killer in Teles. I had one in my Tele years back and I loved it. Did everything great.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm using a Shin Kicker from Tone Hatch, which is basically a Texas Special clone, in my Tele for my cover band. It'll hang with humbuckers. They're $36.

https://reverb.com/item/32133745-ton...d-scatterwound
    Im 99% sure I recommended this one to you there was another thread about tele picks like a few weeks back.

How do you like it?

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Im 99% sure I recommended this one to you there was another thread about tele picks like a few weeks back.

How do you like it?
    You actually recommended it to someone else, but I bought one since the Duncan I had in it was too twangy and not enough grrr. It's a pretty kick ass pickup - meaty but still with that searing top end, like a Texas Special with a bit more hair. I recommend it, especially for $36.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ....especially for $36.
    Yeah I love mine too Like I cant even believe that this isnt some boutique thing for $150