What's your PPH? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your PPH?

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I don't get too precious about it. I install a new pickup in the 2mm range and then fine tune it by ear with quarter turns, usually downward. It's amazing how that last quarter turn dramatically gets the tone right where you want it.
    Yep. Moving the poles on some pickups (Wolfetones especially) makes a big difference, too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yep. Moving the poles on some pickups (Wolfetones especially) makes a big difference, too.
    I've noticed some pickups (like Duncanas) sound best when the hot poles are all substantially higher than the slug poles. Wolfetones are not those pickups; the Marshallheads in particular like to be almost buried.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Like some people, I don't measure. I just do it 100% by ear. But looking at my main guitar, I have the bridge pickup pretty close to the strings and the neck pickup pretty far away from the strings. They sound very nicely balanced when I'm playing rhythm guitar on the bridge, then suddenly switch to the neck for lead (or for clean rhythm). The only exception is if I have the neck pickup on Voice 2, but I never use that anyway.

In fact, it's kind of striking the huge difference between the two heights. I have the neck pickup REALLY low and the bridge pickup REALLY high.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    In fact, it's kind of striking the huge difference between the two heights. I have the neck pickup REALLY low and the bridge pickup REALLY high.
    That's not unusual at all. The string vibration gets broader the further you move away from the bridge, so the neck pickup is going to be a lot louder if set to the same height. A lot of pickup winders mitigate this by making the neck pickup substantially lower output, so you can set them at similar height. It sounds like you're using a neck pickup with similar output to the bridge pickup.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Another "by ear" here too. As a starting point, for singlecoils, I back them all off, then start raising the neck pickup until a note held on the E string in the, say top 5 frets on the guitar closest to the bridge gets an audible ouit-of-tune warble to it, and then back it off at least a quarter turn past the point where the magnetic pull is impacting intonation. Then I'll balance the other two pickups with the neck pickup, on the clean channel, for the same perceived volume, and again checking each when I'm done for that warble. This becomes the absolute highest I can set those pickups. Whether I leave it there or move it back a bit further is a matter of taste and what I'm hearing - particularly with Fender pickups I've notived that position-to-position "differentiation' gets a lot better when they're a little further back. Like, the tonal difference betwen the neck position and the middle position becomes a bit more pronounced. Don't ask me why, maybe its still somethig to do with magnetic pull, maybe there's some compression going on at the amp, whatever. All I know is that's the second factor I'm looking at when dialing in singlecoil height - if I switch from the neck to the middle, do I hear a really clear difference in tone? If I lower both pickups a quarter or half turn, do those differences increase?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

I go by ear and how much the height will be a contributing factor to my right hand palm or strings getting stuck under the bobbins.

For years I had the Evolutions in my JEM REALLY low, like probably just under 1/4” from the pickguard to the top of the pickup (bridge) and the neck a little lower. Every time a tech saw that guitar they’d tell me it was wrong and I’d be like, “Yeah? Plug it in and tell me I’m losing anything by dropping them that low.”. They’re so damn hot it doesn’t seem to matter where I put them. I raised them up a little bit but I’m probably going to drop them back down just because I’m not a fan of how much the effect distortion levels. It’s hard to roll back the volume knob and have something clean up when they’re seemingly on 10 no matter where you are with the volume knob.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't have the confidence in my own ability to not screw up a pickup to start messing with pole height.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I don't have the confidence in my own ability to not screw up a pickup to start messing with pole height.
    Ya know, I went about most things in life with that very mentality for a long time and then a couple years ago I decided that I was going to dive heard first into the unknown and the more fear I had about this, the bigger of a reason it was for me to confront it. I have to say, it’s worked out quite well. It’s entirely changed the way I approach life and I gained a confidence and fearlessness that I had no clue I was capable of.

So get some tools and start turnin’ shit. Worst case scenario, you turn the poles back in the direction they started in.