Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Seymour Duncan Pegasus-7

8K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
Last night I installed a Duncan Pegasus-7 in the bridge position of my Jackson SL7.

It previously had the stock Duncan Distortion-7, which was a lot of fun to play in isolation but didn't provide usable tones for recording. I prefer it to the six-string Distortion, but it still manages to be both messy and harsh at the same time.

The Pegasus is sort of inline with the Suhr Aldrich as being a "JB without the annoying stuff". None of the low-end wooliness and nasty upper-mid spike of the JB. I've seen the Pegasus criticized as lacking character, but it responds well to pole piece adjustments and you can make it thick like a Timbre Wolf or more precise and cutting like a JBJ (in some guitars).

It lacks a little of the richness of a Timbre Wolf, but the low B responds really well with no muddiness. Perhaps I'll change my mind, but for now the Pegasus seems like a keeper.

I might end up putting a Sentient in the neck, but the Distortion-7 neck position is pretty good for lead tones (which is all I do with the neck position on a Soloist).

See less See more
#2 ·
I really liked the Pegasus I had, but iirc it didn’t mix well with my other pickups. Mine had the ceramic mod, so not apples to apples. But as a stand alone I dug it and can easily see why you would too.

#3 ·
I really like the Pegasus the few times I got to play a guitar with one, for pretty much the reasons you stated.

No Jazz in the neck. That’s the only 7-string neck humbucker to me.

#6 ·
I love mine. My main live axe has a Pegasus/Sentient set on it and it can do pretty much everything. I guess it will work nicely with the Jazz as well.

I've read the "lack of character" thing before. That's not necessarily a bad thing. To me the best pickup is the one you forget is in there.

#7 ·
I did NOT like the Pegasus I tried - it was very dry, and sort of hyper-articulate in the treble frequencies, whereas I like the high end a little more rounded off in the presence range on brudge humbukcers. Ironically, I thought the Sentient was awesome in the neck for pretty much the same reasons. :lol:

#8 ·
I did NOT like the Pegasus I tried - it was very dry, and sort of hyper-articulate in the treble frequencies, whereas I like the high end a little more rounded off in the presence range on brudge humbukcers. Ironically, I thought the Sentient was awesome in the neck for pretty much the same reasons.
I can hear that. I've been going back and forth on the "dryness" of the Pegasus since I installed it. I won't be able to make a proper decision until I've had the chance to record with it. My guess is that it'll sound pretty great in a mix. It certainly doesn't forgive sloppy playing.

#12 ·
I actually have a zebra set I'm considering putting in my DR7. I had one in the SLAT3-7 for a while and it wasn't bright enough, but in that guitar NOTHING was bright enough to compete with my SLS-7. If I swap them, I'll record something and let you check it out. It was bright like the Sentient but not so sterile, from what I remember.

#29 ·
Ultimately, what would be great is if Wolfe starting offering a stock 7-string Timbre Wolf.

I gotta say, though, that the Pegasus is fantastic on the low B. It sounds like a guitar string should, not like a bass string going through a guitar rig. The main thing with it overall is that it has less compression than any pickup I can remember playing. It gives back exactly what you play--for good and bad. On the plus side, you can crank the master or the level of your drive pedal higher than with something like a JB or Timbre Wolf.

I'm not 100% sold on it, but I'm still going to wait until I have a chance to properly record and mix it--and my next 7-string song in line for development is a little ways off.

#33 ·
Followup on this thread: I ended up not digging the Pegasus that much in the SL7 for exactly the reasons Drew stated.

I found a used cheap Suhr Hot 7 on Reverb that was already drilled for direct-mount, and it's a huge improvement. Definitely a first choice for 7-string bridge pickups.

#36 ·
Came here to say that the 7Hot is a fantastic pickup. Although last time I tried it was maybe 3 years ago? Suhr 7 into a Mesa Triple Crown and Mark V:25 is never going to sound bad is it? :lol: It had a little bit of the 'hollow' thonk I like from the EMG 707 oddly.

#38 ·
I'm assuming it's basically a 7-string Aldrich. It's an overwound Alnico V that just's nice and balanced with nothing weird going on. Tight enough on the lower strings, but also plenty of scream for leads.

:agreed: The neck PU from that set is really nice, too.
Already got my searches set up. :lol:

I could totally live with keeping the stock Distortion-7 in the neck, though. It's a good sound.

#40 ·
I forget exactly ehat the pickups that came in my Suhr were, but I'm about 98% sure they were the 7V and 7+. They were pretty good, but had a LOT of low end. I'm happy with the set I have in their now (PAF Pro and Blaze), but I suppose one day I should toss them back in to try, since I've been really happy with the Thornbucker set in my 6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.