The Homebrew DIY pedal review thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Homebrew DIY pedal review thread

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

The Homebrew DIY pedal review thread

Seeing as there's a few people building pedals on here, I thought it might be an idea to post all results/reviews in one thread for people to see, and it'd be nice to do it in a format:

Pedal Name:
    Supplier:
    Full kit (y/n):
    Kit contents (if a kit):
    Component Quality (out of 10):
    Difficulty Rating (out of 10):
    Did it take long to build?:
    Where the build docs any good?:
    Drill templates included (y/n):
    Review of the kit/pcb/parts:
    Review of the end result:
    Did you modify anything?:
    Overall Score (out of 10):

of course, if a breadboard pedal, can tailor the above as necessary. Also of interest is whther you'd recommend the supplier, if you got the case predrilled was it any good? How was battery fitment? Did you get everything in the kit? Where all the values correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Pedal Name: Delay Verb
    Supplier: Jeds Peds
    Full kit (y/n): y
    Kit contents (if a kit):PCB,pots,undrilled case,switch,led,some wire, all resistors/caps/chips etc
    Component Quality (out of 10): 5/10, average, nothing mazing, standard resistors and box caps etc
    Difficulty Rating (out of 10): 2/10
    Did it take long to build?: An evening, of which 95% was spent reading component values, in terms of actually soldering maybe 30 mins
    Where the build docs any good?: Adequate enough.
    Drill templates included (y/n): No. Which in this case sucked as the pots are PCB mounted, and i measured the drill holes with them ever so slightly at an angle to the board, which meant that putting it in the case involved making the holes a bit larger to accomodate the base of the shaft being off. Annoying.
    Review of the kit/pcb/parts: 4/10 nothing special, everything in a bag unlabelled, socket for chip is nice, although i don't see why you'd ever change it.
    Review of the end result:Nice build just to see if you like building pedals, but donm't expect anything amazing. Sound is a bit lofi, jagged, and no smoothness, basically it sounds like a very cheap analogue delay. Good for starting out and making all the mistakes with (like drilling etc). I don't see myself poutting any more time into this pedal, no paint or decoration as I don't see it ending up as something I'll really use. Got a boss DM-3, and that blows this clean out of the water, as in, nuclear warhead on a fishing boat blown away.
    Did you modify anything?:No
    Overall Score (out of 10):2/10

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Pedal Name: Ex Con
    Supplier: Fuzz Dog’s Pedal Parts
    Full kit (y/n): Y
    Kit contents (if a kit): PCB, pots, drilled enclosure (as optional extra), switch, led, wire, all resistors/caps/chips etc
    Component Quality (out of 10): 6/10 - nothing I’d take issue with. The switch feels solid.
    Difficulty Rating (out of 10): 6/10 - Nothing crazy, just a fair number of components. The daughterboard makes wiring the switch much easier.
    Did it take long to build?: Built in an evening, much of the time was spent sorting and identifying the various components.
    Were the build docs any good?: The documentation is fine, no issues.
    Drill templates included (y/n): Y (but I didn’t need them as I bought the drilled enclosure)
    Review of the kit/pcb/parts: Clear and straight forwards. Drilled enclosure a good fit. The spacing of the pots to fit in the enclosure means you are limited in the knobs you can use and the Davies 1900 style aren’t as nice as those on the BE-OD.
    Review of the end result: This is as great clone of the Friedman BE-OD. I have tried running it side by side with the original and it can be dialled in pretty damned close! Behaves very much like the original when you turn the volume down on the guitar or switch to a lower output pickup and cleans up a fair bit. If you’ve got soldering kit, know what you are doing and have an evening or two to spare, this could give you a brown-eye for about a third the price of the original. It has been a regular on my board for about a year.
    Did you modify anything?: No
    Overall Score (out of 10): 8

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

I've never built a full on kit, I've always ordered boards and parts. But I have built quite a few from madbean pedals, and all of his designs and boards are fantastic.

Pedal Name: Spirit Box
    Supplier: PedalPCB
    Full kit (y/n): n, just a PCB
    Kit contents (if a kit): PCB
    Component Quality (out of 10): as a PCB it's rather good, all component values marked on board
    Difficulty Rating (out of 10): 6/10 not hard, just grab components and solder. Only difficulty is that the board has a rear mounted massive reverb tank or chip, it's huge, so getting it into a case is a bit tricky, and I ended up just putting it in a larger enclosure than advertised due to this. It might have ben possible if i hadn't of used the huge voltage regulators, which are 2-3 times the height of the tallest components...
    Did it take long to build?: An evening
    Where the build docs any good?: Yes.
    Drill templates included (y/n): They are, but I've started using a physical drill template that makes life a lot easier than paper.
    Review of the kit/pcb/parts: Really good, enjoyable build, and end result is cool
    Review of the end result: Really happy with this one. It's supposed to clone an EQD ghost echo and is pretty much the same. Great little box!
    Did you modify anything?: No
    Overall Score (out of 10): 8/10 one of my favourite ones I've built.

Pedal Name: GUMA-Drive
    Supplier: schalltechnik04
    Full kit (y/n): Yes
    Kit contents (if a kit): PCB, Components a
    Component Quality (out of 10): 6/10 - nothing I’d take issue with. The switch feels solid.
    Difficulty Rating (out of 10): 7/10 - Rather fiddly in places, J201s were surface mount...
    Did it take long to build?: A few short evenings.
    Where the build docs any good?: Build documents available here https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/guma-drive - lots of photos...
    Drill templates included (y/n): Yes - but kit came with drilled enclosure.
    Review of the kit/pcb/parts: Decent kit, method of mounting the jacks a little odd (see the build doc for details). A couple of things missing but they were quick to send out at their cost.
    Review of the end result: Sounds great, I haven't tried the relevant Dark Glass pedal, but this gives a fairly finished bass tone.
    Did you modify anything?: No.
    Overall Score (out of 10): 7/10

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Thought this was about beer, disappointment level 9000

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thought this was about beer, disappointment level 9000
    Ha! Not something I've got round to yet, though I've got a mate who is an absolute wizard with homebrew...