Snake Oil debunked
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake Oil debunked

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Snake Oil debunked

Alright, have a listen to these two clips. Each four bars is an A/B back and forth, the difference is subtle in the mix but fairly clear on the guitar only version. But, what's the difference?

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

I think I know the answer from social media, but want to see if Rocka gets it. If Rocka does get it in one guess, we all owe him an apology.

The first 4 bars of the guitars only version definitely have a bit more bottom/boom. I'm guessing the second 4 bars sit better in a full mix.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Two different players.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

B sounds like it has slightly more oomph, more output even, and all round a tad more body. I'm gonna go ahead and say sustain block upgrade? It's so minimal though. I didn't find a huge amount of difference when I did it on an old Charvel, but it was there. Again, just like with pickups, it's more in the feel than in the EQ itself, but there is a subtle difference, which is why I'm guessing this is what this is.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

Yep, Mattayus got it. A is a Hantug titanium block, B is an FU tone oversized brass, the profile is set up for the brass so I'm going to experiment with patch changes and see what happens. What I'm hearing (potentially with purchasers bias) is that the low end is faster and less resonant on the titanium, so it sounds tighter and notes don't ring into each other so much.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Ah interesting stuff. If it's any help, I concur with your findings.

What I don't get about the whole brass block thing in particular though, is that people describe it as both mellowing/softening the tone, whilst also giving it tighter bass and more sustain. In my experience, those two properties are at odds with eachother, so I'm not sure how much of it is true, and how much of it is preconception.

The main thing that made me rip out my brass block faster than anything is how much it encumbered the movement of the trem, due to it taking up so much room in the cavity. I could only move the Floyd so far without it hitting the sides.

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

It's pretty subtle, but it's there. I can't say it really makes any obvious difference in the mix though. Beastly sounding tone
    I'm so metal I shit bats

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Ah interesting stuff. If it's any help, I concur with your findings.

What I don't get about the whole brass block thing in particular though, is that people describe it as both mellowing/softening the tone, whilst also giving it tighter bass and more sustain. In my experience, those two properties are at odds with eachother, so I'm not sure how much of it is true, and how much of it is preconception.

The main thing that made me rip out my brass block faster than anything is how much it encumbered the movement of the trem, due to it taking up so much room in the cavity. I could only move the Floyd so far without it hitting the sides.
    Agreed, I think that's where I'm coming to with these changes is that one enhancement always comes at the cost of another. You know the journey I've been on with this guitar in the last couple of months, I think all those pick up swaps allowed me to really understand the character of this guitar and then come up with a course of action accordingly. The other change we discussed arrives today........

I'm not normally a trem user at all but this tour has a few requirements here and there, just fitted the Push-in replacement arm too.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's pretty subtle, but it's there. I can't say it really makes any obvious difference in the mix though. Beastly sounding tone
    Cheers, been putting quite a lot of work into this one over the last few weeks. It's a Josh Middleton Dual Rec profile that I've been re-shaping each time I make a change to the guitar, I was looking for complimentary tones the other day to try and increase the stereo picture, it confirmed again how relatively minor part the amp plays in the overall tone, in comparison to the Cab and Pre/post EQ decisions.

I've been trying to get something close to his tones in these videos: