I've been working on my Strat....a lot. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've been working on my Strat....a lot.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    That's a better job than I'd have done, and I'm not even that confident to start!
    I've got a good track record of fucking up personal projects. At work I can get shit done professionally, but my own projects have always been a different story. Finishing this to a degree I'm content with is going to be a major win for me. I've been working for a few years now to actually have follow through in my non-professional life, it's certainly gotten better. If I have to do something for someone else, I'll step up and complete it....if it's for myself, I'll be the first to let myself down!
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    Thanks, brother!

I've got some radius gauges on the way, though i'm really hoping it's ok, as I'd have to sand all that nitro off and start over! The lack of a neck cradle definitely played a role in me not getting some of the frets down all the way. I had to pussy-foot everything from the 1st to the 15th fret or so. Actually, every tool mentioned above, I do not own (minus the block) and I can see how owning them would have made this job a lot easier the first go. I've been buying Fender's pre-cut/radiused fret wire, which makes things a bit easier, but I'm sure bending it a bit more can help the tangs dig in a little more.

While it'll be quite some time before I ever try this on someone else' guitar, I've found enough joy in doing it that I want to get a few shit necks off Amazon/Ebay just to go crazy with and really hone some skill on them. There's something about working with metal and wood that I can just get lost in for hours and love every second of it, the concentration and focus....it's really like a meditation and provides the same clear headspace for me that playing guitar only rarely does these days.

Thanks again, brother!
    Right on! There is definitely is a zen thing about it. And there is nothing like the feeling off putting it all back together and it just plays like butter and better then before. I feel you, man. I get more enjoyment about this kind of stuff then actually playing. It's almost a curse because I instantly inspect a new guitar for any flaws before I play it. Especially the fret work. But then again, I can usually fix something within minutes that someone would usually return a guitar for. So there is that. My latest ESP Kamikaze 4 star is the first guitar in ages that I didn't have to do a damn thing to.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBot View Post
    Right on! There is definitely is a zen thing about it. And there is nothing like the feeling off putting it all back together and it just plays like butter and better then before. I feel you, man. I get more enjoyment about this kind of stuff then actually playing. It's almost a curse because I instantly inspect a new guitar for any flaws before I play it. Especially the fret work. But then again, I can usually fix something within minutes that someone would usually return a guitar for. So there is that. My latest ESP Kamikaze 4 star is the first guitar in ages that I didn't have to do a damn thing to.
    I hear ya there. I still can't go to a restaurant without watching what everyone is doing and figuring out whose role is what after 21 years in that business and now I find myself checking tags on fire/life safety equipment anytime I see them, regardless if it's our property or not. I think with electronic work, even something as simple as pick-ups (which I still suck at and will be my next learning process) my brain gets too tied up and it's a constant conversation in my head about the work being done. With frets/woodworking, I space out and just go off feel and rarely have that constant conversation going on in my head.

I belong to a couple guitar repair/building groups on FB and some of those guys are martyr's of repair work. A couple flipped out when I posted pics of me converting an MIM Strat to vintage specs, "I'm tired of fixing things people like you screw up trying to make it something it's not." Why take in the work if you don't dig it? I'd fucking LOVE to repair guitars for a living!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

dude you jumped in with both feet and had at it. So awesome! Man I would have second-guessed myself into inactivity and never got started.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I decided to keep it simple and go with black. Knowing full well that I wasn't going to pull this off flawlessly, I figured it'd be easier to not fill in all the dents on the body. So while it's not 100% a relic, I wasn't going for factory fresh, either.
    Strat is cool, and obviously needs scallops, but I'm more interested in why you have a claymation version of Jerry Garcia's severed head laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Strat is cool, and obviously needs scallops, but I'm more interested in why you have a claymation version of Jerry Garcia's severed head laying around.

A friend of mine thought it was Jesus last week!