Opinions on my Washburn N7. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on my Washburn N7.

Sometime ago I saw on one of those That Pedal Show YT channel an English tech/luthier fixing a lump on a Strat Neck:

Around min 20 +/-

Maybe you could do something similar by removing fretboard wood on the it to try to "balance" and minimize the twist. It will be another refret and no guarantees it will work... but see it as a learning project on a very expensive guitar

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

For what it's worth, I agree with your programmer - the SEC always seemed like the stupidest possible solution.

I'm with Randy.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

New neck, maple board with no dots as a tribute to the "fuck you dots" on there now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

If the new neck fixed the issues, would you play it or would you just hang it on the wall regardless?
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If the new neck fixed the issues, would you play it or would you just hang it on the wall regardless?
    Yeah this is what I was going to ask. if you will play it I would say go for it, otherwise just sell it off to get something better.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

What a shitter of a situation, man. I gased real bad for one when they came out.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

#2 , if possible, then it is still original...and fix the dots. If you didnt have the ability then sell it but you can save it.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I guess a potential option #5 would be to remove the fretboard and see what's going on. I've encountered few twisting necks that didn't have an underlying issue, like a wonky truss rod or poor route. ~1 inch thick of hardwood with a steel rod down the middle shouldn't bend so unpredictably, you know?

Anyway, could get the fretboard off the old way (steaming it) or I've had some where I made a couple passes over the jointer to work it down to near nothing, pulled the truss rod out through the top (after the fretboard is <.5mm thick) and scraped the remainder off with a razor blade. Could replace the truss rod if it's fucked, clean up the route or titanium rod it. I've also had pretty good luck replacing the older fretboard with one +1mm to stiff it up.

It's pretty invasive but it's all shit you can do yourself so it'd save $$$ and you've obviously got the gear.

EDIT: Just realized this was basically option #2. Well, either way there's some added ideas. Steaming it isn't so bad if you go the route of drilling small holes in the fret slots, you run a clothes steamer into a basketball pump needle and let it do it's thing. First few are slow but the whole thing will come off in one piece after the few.
    Argbadh - RHLC©