Opinions on my Washburn N7. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on my Washburn N7.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

SEC was based in Seattle and some repair dude has all his old inventory. Don't know how helpful that is, since I seriously doubt they have any 7 string replacement necks you can buy. But since that's local to you you could always inquire and (politely) be like, "Yo, my SEC kind of sucks, Washburns fault, maybe you have ideas on how to fix this".

RJW Guitar Repair

Don't think the original inventor is still affiliated with the brand, I think the IP now belongs to Washburn. The dude on the linked site was the guy under SD and he mentions doing all the warranty repair work for Washburn's models.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    Does a replacement neck actually have to be a 1 piece blank?

You'll know it's not authentic and you'll have the original anyway, so why not go 3 (or more) piece, with reinforcement as well and make the most stable neck you can for it, whilst keeping the cost lower?
    I agree that it would be better if it were a laminate. I know that bigger 1 piece necks are more prone to warping.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    SEC was based in Seattle and some repair dude has all his old inventory. Don't know how helpful that is, since I seriously doubt they have any 7 string replacement necks you can buy. But since that's local to you you could always inquire and (politely) be like, "Yo, my SEC kind of sucks, Washburns fault, maybe you have ideas on how to fix this".

RJW Guitar Repair

Don't think the original inventor is still affiliated with the brand, I think the IP now belongs to Washburn. The dude on the linked site was the guy under SD and he mentions doing all the warranty repair work for Washburn's models.
    I'd say it's worth a shot. If for anything, maybe some advice. Thanks for the heads up!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Caparison/Maverick
    Rig: Sweet FA

Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    Does a replacement neck actually have to be a 1 piece blank?

You'll know it's not authentic and you'll have the original anyway, so why not go 3 (or more) piece, with reinforcement as well and make the most stable neck you can for it, whilst keeping the cost lower?
    If you go the new neck route, I'd recomment this too. Especially some graphite rods. Maybe even swap to flame maple with a maple board to make it a bit different, since it's not an original neck anyway.

How much do you think you're gonna sink into it for a new neck though, and would it get the playtime to justify it after that? Or would you be better off taking the hit, selling it for what you can get for it and adding the cost of the replacement neck on to that and getting something you'd actually play?
    I'm so metal I shit bats

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

If you fix the neck (or make a new one), but probably won't enjoy playing because you had to put so much effort in to fix it, sell it. Otherwise, I'd vote for steaming off the fingerboard, level the neck, install new rod & reinforcement, new fingerboard, etc. If that doesn't work out, then make a new neck.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Whatever you end up doing, good on you for not punting it down the road for someone else to deal with.

Got a hold of that RJW repair guy. Interesting story on the N4/N7 guitars.
    Basically mine is a "2nd generation". So basically no involvement with either he or Steve. And Washburn fucked these up. Wrong truss rods and stuff like that. He suggested pulling the board. Says these come off pretty easy and has done a bunch for the same reason. Going to meet up with him soon and go from there. Pretty cool that turns one of the guys responsible for these guitars is litterally just down the road from me.

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?

Steaming the fretboard off isn't too bad an option, I've done plenty of them. If you screw up, then go option 1. You won't destroy the neck beyond recognition if you steam the board off, so you'd still be able to pull measurements off it if you need to remake it. Besides, if that neck is twisted, original or not it's not like it's worth anything.

But I'll buy it from you for 1/3 what you paid for it

edit: And I should have read the second page