Opinions on my Washburn N7.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on my Washburn N7.

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

Opinions on my Washburn N7.

Kind of in limbo on what to do with this thing. Was always a dream guitar but after the honeymoon wore off, things started to rear their ugly head.
    First off, the face dots on the board are WAY off. Like Rocka aneurysm causing off. I did notice that right off the bat and it bothers me but not a huge bother.
    The real problems are the neck has a twist to it and is just unstable. So a while back I decided, fuck it... I'm going to pull the frets and re-level the fret board. Got it so without any string tension on it, the neck is dead straight. But as soon as I put it back together the same issues happened. The only plus is that it now has stainless frets. It's playable and sounds fantastic but I just can't get the action I prefer. As it is, it's about 1.7 to 2mm above the 12th fret. On the bass side about 2mm but on the low B and E, it's pretty buzzy and dead from about the 15th fret on up.
    Maybe I'm just too picky but it's driving me nuts.
    It also doesn't help that these were built during the worst time for Washburn custom shop QC. Thinking there is a reason they aren't around anymore.

So my options are:

1. Build a new neck. The obvious choice since I build guitars for a living. Doing one by hand is not in the cards. It could be but I don't love this guitar THAT much. Building a program for the CNC would be easier. Our programmer is a genius and could easily do it. But, it's not like I can just do it for free. It's an independent project and I'd have to pay him for his time. Plus pay for any tooling/jigs that needed to be built. I brought the guitar back in today for him to really look at and he said if I just went for a straight headstock instead of angled, it would be way easier. But I'd prefer the angled to keep it as close to OG as possible. Also, since the neck(minus the fretboard) is 1 piece, I would need a HUGE neck blank. With the Stephens cutaway plus the giant angled headstock. That's a pricey piece of prime birdseye maple.

2. The most sketchy option. Steam the fretboard off the neck. Add graphite re-enforcement and put a new board on it. I've pulled fretboards off before but man, it is not fun nor easy. Plus, if I fuck it up, I no longer have the original neck.

3. Sell it for basically 1/3 of what I paid for it. Basically for parts.

4. The last option. Just say fuck it and hang it on the wall as art.

I will say that having an actual engineer(our programmer) really look at it, he thinks that the Stephens Extended cutaway is probably one of the worst designs he's ever seen for a bolt on guitar. I laugh because I spent $2k on this damn thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I'm stuck between that or #3. lol
    Tomorrow I am going to tear it down so our programmer and really take a good look at the neck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Stubborn issues aside, it's still an ERG Nuno and that's way fuckin cool. Like, 'hard to find something as cool' cool.

Even if you pay to have the neck made and decide to sell it down the road, I'd imagine the resale value of it with a working neck (and including the original) will be more than the 1/3rd price you're looking at getting now. So you can probably get the price of the neck build back regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Stubborn issues aside, it's still an ERG Nuno and that's way fuckin cool. Like, 'hard to find something as cool' cool.

Even if you pay to have the neck made and decide to sell it down the road, I'd imagine the resale value of it with a working neck (and including the original) will be more than the 1/3rd price you're looking at getting now. So you can probably get the price of the neck build back regardless.
    This is all true. At the very least, I'd like to keep the original neck intact. Well, aside from it's new frets.

ME: 1 of 2
    MA: "Smokey"
    Rig: Peavey XXX

#4. Let it be a reminder to not throw good time and money after bad. I have a swirl body hanging in my shop for just that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    #4. Let it be a reminder to not throw good time and money after bad. I have a swirl body hanging in my shop for just that purpose.

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Does a replacement neck actually have to be a 1 piece blank?

You'll know it's not authentic and you'll have the original anyway, so why not go 3 (or more) piece, with reinforcement as well and make the most stable neck you can for it, whilst keeping the cost lower?