Best way to carve a nut slot

Thread: Best way to carve a nut slot

Best way to carve a nut slot

I'm building a strat style guitar and forgot to route out the nut slot when the neck was square. What is the best way to hog it out accurately after the fact? I started it with a chisel and it was coming out well but the chisel is just a little smaller than the nut. Too close to go up to the next size chisel but to far to hammer it in. My file is too wide for the slot. I'm thinking my only choice is to hold the chisel side ways and try to widen the wall as if the side was the bottom of the slot. Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

so here is the progress of the neck. This was my first attempt at building a neck this way. Building it on the cheap as I couldn't find a proper quarter sawn maple board at the lumber store. Instead, someone recommended gluing two boards face to face with grain in opposite directions.

Here is the current state of the build:

Best way to carve a nut slot-img_3197-jpg

Here is the process
    Cutting fret slots:

Best way to carve a nut slot-img_2934-jpg

Square neck:

Best way to carve a nut slot-img_2941-jpg

Best way to carve a nut slot-img_2936-jpg
    Pressing frets:
    Best way to carve a nut slot-img_3016-jpg

Which brings me to my question about the nut slot. I tried using the file and it was too big.

Best way to carve a nut slot-img_3198-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best way to carve a nut slot-img_2935-jpg