Small amount of play in my OFR anchors on my Suhr 7
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Small amount of play in my OFR anchors on my Suhr 7

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Small amount of play in my OFR anchors on my Suhr 7

This is the only OFR guitar I own so I'm afraid I can't really compare to somerhing to tell if this is normal, but is it typical yo have a little bit of play in the studs in an OFR? I'm 99% sure it's the studs themselves and not the anchors, which seem pretty rock-solid, and it's just that I can shift the studs themselves back and forth in the anchors. I'mm thinking of just hitting them with some Lock-tite to tighten up the fit, but I figured I'd ask here before doing anything.

You don't notice it while playing, but it's enough that you can feel it in the bar when you grab the bar, and this guitar has never fluttered terribly well for it. Thanks!

EDIT - the video I posted at the bottom of the first page, that everyone seems to have missed.

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

As long as its not the anchors you can buy new studs. I have seen that with no tention on the strings during string changes but not once tuned up. I know Gotoh has locking studs to eliminate that play between anchor and studs, which is very cool.

Didnt Suhr switch to Gotoh a few years back for QC reasons? Something about having to prep-fix the OFRs too much to rely on for production.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    As long as its not the anchors you can buy new studs. I have seen that with no tention on the strings during string changes but not once tuned up. I know Gotoh has locking studs to eliminate that play between anchor and studs, which is very cool.

Didnt Suhr switch to Gotoh a few years back for QC reasons? Something about having to prep-fix the OFRs too much to rely on for production.
    That is interesting. I’ve been planning on buying a couple OFRs myself to replace some crappy and old licensed ones. Should I be looking at Gotoh instead?
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

This is normal

And it doesn't matter that much.

Remember when you had the strings on and tuned up, you have a LOOOOT of force so they wont be wiggling around anyway.

But the GOTOH studs are better anyway because they have an internal screw that locks it into place and and wont be wiggling around no matter what.
    Even then I recommend screwing the locking mechanicanism when having the strings tensioned so its in the "correct place" when locked.

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    That is interesting. I’ve been planning on buying a couple OFRs myself to replace some crappy and old licensed ones. Should I be looking at Gotoh instead?
    Well, I like that they are lo-profile, already come with the brass block and you can choose how big you want, are smoother on the hand, very well made in Japan, dont use that screw coller I hate- have a push in arm. To me anyway, its a more evolved unit.... and it costs about hald as much. Try one at that price and its hard to loose. Im doing a Warmoth build and Im going with the Gotoh.

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Well, I like that they are lo-profile, already come with the brass block and you can choose how big you want, are smoother on the hand, very well made in Japan, dont use that screw coller I hate- have a push in arm. To me anyway, its a more evolved unit.... and it costs about hald as much. Try one at that price and its hard to loose. Im doing a Warmoth build and Im going with the Gotoh.

Where are you buying yours from? I’m having a little trouble finding the best US dealer for Gotoh.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

They switched on their 6's, but not their 7s. And OFR now offers a pop-in arm, and it's awesome.

Can oyu use Gotoh locking studs with Floyd anchors? I always liked those on the Ibby Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Can oyu use Gotoh locking studs with Floyd anchors? I always liked those on the Ibby Edge.
    Im not sure but I think I remember them not working together??