Ibanez Falchion build: The Scimitar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez Falchion build: The Scimitar

ME: Jackson CS KE2
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Ibanez Falchion build: The Scimitar

Hey all,

Given that I now can't rehearse, lift or see friends during the weekends due to the UK lockdown, I needed something to do... So why not revive an abandoned project?

I got a reversed Ibanez neck 2 years back for this same idea but never followed it up due to lack of funds, but NOW it can begin.

First step: Acquire body and other missing parts. I wanted a Falchion basically since they launched it in 2013(?), especially with how cool it looked on 7DT and The Commander in Chief, neither of whom play it any more

The body's from Perle and looks beautiful. Super clean and it was really cool of Nate to include screws for mountinng the backplate as well as the pickups.

Since I still have to sort out mounting bolts before marking centerlines etc for routing, I'll be practicing finishing and routing this weekend.
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

What's the plan for it?
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    What's the plan for it?
    Well, I have a Seymour Duncan Nazgul lying around that will go into this, then a bridge that isn't too popular around here and will involve a lot of routing
    Now seems to be the best time to stock up on tools I should already have anyway, so just got a long ass steel rule and ordered engineer's squares. Gonna finish this a solid, REGAL colour

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    Well, I have a Seymour Duncan Nazgul lying around that will go into this, then a bridge that isn't too popular around here and will involve a lot of routing
    Now seems to be the best time to stock up on tools I should already have anyway, so just got a long ass steel rule and ordered engineer's squares. Gonna finish this a solid, REGAL colour
    Why are you going to inflict a Kahler on this poor guitar?

Otherwise looks cool.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Why are you going to inflict a Kahler on this poor guitar?
    The judges would also have accepted Evertune.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    The judges would also have accepted Evertune.
    Correct!
    Honestly, nowadays I'd prefer a Floyd but I have an Evertune I bought years ago and I want to at least try it. Also a fun challenge making that swimming pool

(I already know I hate Kahler)

Now got the mounting holes for the Gotoh bridge plugged up with dowel rods and epoxy. I also got the bolts for neck mounting.

There's a small gap at the end of the neck pocket when the neck's screwed in, but I think I'll leave as is because I don't want to create any further complication. The neck is slightly narrower than the pocket, but that's not a big deal as long as it's bolted in firmly.

Last pic and point: I've tried projecting a centerline based on the neck but unsurprisingly for an Indonesian Ibanez, the edge of the neck isn't 100% straight. Any tips on how to achieve this? The lines I've projected so far look pretty off in comparison to the original Gotoh holes.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Neck looks a hair thinner than the pocket but I think the bigger issue is it's just not pushed back in the pocket as far as it should be. I do some replacement bodies, and I always encourage filling the neck screw holes, clamping the neck into the new body and redrilling for the right fit.

As far as the centerline, it's a matter of what you're trying to square with what. The neck, pickups and bridge are ideally square with eachother but they can kinda float anywhere with regard to their angle in relation to the body. You have to start with one fundamentally 'square' item and tweak everything else to match it. Considering the poor fit on the neck pocket, I'd assume that's where your angle issues begin and end.

My recommendation is fill the neck screw holes, get two straight edges to run along side the neck while you clamp it in place and use those to center it with the stock bridge mounting holes (which are likely square-ish). Once you're happy, drill one or two pilot holes through the body mounting holes into the neck tenon. Chase in two screws so it holds, take the clamp off and do the other two holes. After your holes are predrilled, keep the screws semi loose, resquare with the straight edges, and cinch the neck down tight like it would if you were playing it and let it settle

After that, you should be able to do all your bridge placement work relative to the holes and the bridge pickup route, since you know they're all squared with the neck now. Trying to drill for and mount a bridge based on a wonky neck pocket is asking for trouble, especially since the neck will wiggle once it's strung up and played/moved.