Does quality of floyd matter if you are just going to block it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does quality of floyd matter if you are just going to block it?

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

You should be able to fit bridges with similar dimensions as an OFR into the cavity of an Edge-Pro equipped guitar. The Edge-Pro itself isn't the worst bridge for the job if you can find a cheap replacement but that might be hard depending on where you're at. Barring that, I wouldn't go with the cheapest FR you can find but you'll probably be okay with something middle of the road and just do as solid of a block-job as possible to eliminate any extra movement you might come across to reduce wear on friction points. You can always get a cheap bridge and upgrade the saddles and maybe the sustain block at some point if its upgrade-friendly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Thanks for the input so far.

I decided to go with quality, but play swap the trems, so the new gotoh ge1996T can go in my main guitar and it's worn Edge Pro can go in the mutt I'll be assembling.

Unfortunately the GE1996T arrived with a long block... which I didn't realise til it was sticking out the back of the body. Oops. Any suggestions where to best get a suitable short block in the UK?

ME: Jackson KV2's
    Rig: Fractal AX8

I had a cheap Floyd copy and the break angle over the high E saddle wasn't right so that string had a really short sustain - like it immediately buzzed out. It was a lo-pro job and you couldn't (easily) get a regular allen key into the string-lock bolt because the fine-tuners were in the way. Buy a decent bridge!
    Heavy metal from Northern Ireland: Stormzone | Fireland

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFireland View Post
    I had a cheap Floyd copy and the break angle over the high E saddle wasn't right so that string had a really short sustain - like it immediately buzzed out. It was a lo-pro job and you couldn't (easily) get a regular allen key into the string-lock bolt because the fine-tuners were in the way. Buy a decent bridge!
    Have done! The Gotoh seems great.