Lo Pro Edge-7 Problem: Stripped Nut? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lo Pro Edge-7 Problem: Stripped Nut?

ME: All of them
    MA: Acoustics in metal, lol!
    MB: I only have one sooo...
    Rig: Fractal Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The studs are new too? I get gouged studs sooner than rounded/chipped knife edges typically.
    Yes the entire unit is new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: WTB BC Rich Warlock
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

I recently had an issue with a stripped nut on one of my floyds. Couldn't keep stable tuning for dives. Stripped 2 bolts on the same nut hole trying to crank it down beyond the stripping. Was gonna look to buy a new nut, but I had already been cleaning and lubing floyds for other guitars, so I dismantled the whole thing and gave it a bath of WD40 and gun oil. I did this for all the parts besides the block and the fine tuner tension plate. Left it in there over night. I've read some people say not to use WD40 on trems because it'll dry out the parts, but mixing it with the gun oil seemed to work fine. Killed most of the rust and completely loosened up the frozen saddles, of course I had to do some scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Put everything back together, stringed it up, fortunately had some steel cap screws laying around to use for the nut (they look the same as original floyd nut clamp screws). Cranked down pretty hard on the nut clamps. Harder than I used to. Then again I've been using the trem harder than I used to. Everything was stable, diving for days!

Now, I'm not sure if this will help cause you said your trem is new. And I'm not even sure exactly what fixed the tuning stability issues. I mean, the nut was stripped and that was an obvious problem, but I'm using the same partially stripped nut just with new bolts. And cranking them down hard. I think just cleaning and lubing all the moving parts helped a lot. It's been through 2 string changes now and the stripped nut hasn't caused anymore problems. It's actually holding tune better than it has in (neglectful) years.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

stupid question, but, how tight are your neck bolts?

secondly, have you locked the studs in the posts?

third question, if yopu clamp the strings with the nut, so it's locked with pads on, can you change the tuning of any of the strings with the tuning pegs? ie, if you slack string via tuning peg, does it slack the tuning?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Maybe try a new nut and pads?
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

All of the above, but also springs are something that often get overlooked. When they get old they lose their ability to return perfectly to form, and a fresh set of springs can make a world of difference to stability.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    stupid question, but, how tight are your neck bolts?

secondly, have you locked the studs in the posts?

third question, if yopu clamp the strings with the nut, so it's locked with pads on, can you change the tuning of any of the strings with the tuning pegs? ie, if you slack string via tuning peg, does it slack the tuning?
    1) Yes. Although I don't think that was the problem as after I did that no noticeable difference was observed.

2) I believe so. I know the Ibanez Rulez guy says turn till there is no slop. I think its turned all the way it can be but am not sure. I noticed when turning the studs too much you get to a point where you can't get the wrench out so right now turned to the point where you can still get the wrench out but not super tight.

3) Nope they stay in tune. Guess its not the pressure pads in relation to the nut then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    All of the above, but also springs are something that often get overlooked. When they get old they lose their ability to return perfectly to form, and a fresh set of springs can make a world of difference to stability.
    I think the springs are new. Its been alot of work done to it and am not sure but I think the techs I had working on it threw some newbies on it.

One other thing that may help here is this picture of the internal cavity. There was a mistake made when drilling in for the posts of the studs. Too much of the cavity was taken out and you can actually see the post as it is exposed. I tried to see if there was any movement though when doing dives and what not and there was none that I could see. Not sure if that really matters of not. It may be moving anyway and I just can't
    see.

Lo Pro Edge-7 Problem: Stripped Nut?-screenshot_20200729-135527_gallery-jpg