anyone used bass strings on a guitar?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone used bass strings on a guitar?

ME: '85 Ibanez dt-350
    MA: fender concord
    Rig: N/A

anyone used bass strings on a guitar?

i bought a .080" bass string to replace the .060" that came with the set i just bought. i just replaced my stock one-off ibanez tremelo with a floyd rose. the string doesn't quite fit all the way down in my nut or on the tremelo, but it is held in place somewhat. between 1/3 and 1/2 of the string fits in it, the rest is unexposed. Will it work? I guess the locking nut may hold it, but im unsure enough to join a forum. please help me if you can, i dont wanna hurt myself or my precious X series (which is from '85)

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

What are you tuning to?

I've used all the way up to a .072 for a low B on my guitars. The biggest I've used on a floyded guitar was a .065 bass string, and it worked fine. It sounds different since it's double-wrapped, rather than like a guitar string with a single wind, but other than that, it should work fine, assuming you're not putting some ludicrous tension on the guitar.

Its also worth noting on some exceptionally large strings you may have to either unwind the string to get it to fit through the tuner, or bore out the tuning peg with a drill. I prefer to unwind the string, since you dont have to make any mods. you might have to have the nut filed to accommodate the larger string as well.

thats abit reassuring. im gonna shoot for for A if i can! (fingers crossed) not really holding my breath. ill settle for nothing above c flat. i planned on altering the string, havent started cause its a $9 commitment! i wasthinking of putting the tapered end of the string in the floyd so itll lay at the right angle properly and stripping the balled end. yay? ne?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

It might work, but the taper might taper up to where you pick, due to the fact it was designed for a bass scale. I think if you're tuning to A, you could go down to a 70 for size. just my

fair enough. ill go exchange it later today. besides my frets are flat enough! not lookin forward to re-fretting it. thanks for the help man, i appreciate it more than ull ever know

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I had a 1984 DT-350 (as well as a 250), nice guitars. Going for the left hand path sound?

That was a 350 (with largish strings I presume) with an 81 in the bridge into some manner of peavey 112.

man, i fuckin love mine. my first guitar and its been stolen and parted out and its being born again as we speak. excellently low string profile and durability. Id take any dt-350 or 500 over any gibson u can find

ME: Jackson Sl2H
    Rig: Engl/Marshall rack

I've used strings that big before on a guitar but it wasn't on a floyd, I put a .90 onto a Les Paul a few years ago. It's easy to unwind the outer core to get the string into the tuner and possibly at the bridge if it won't fit. Going down to A though you shouldn't need a string that thick at all.