DIY: Making a bone nut - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Making a bone nut

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
    (watches as food-giver takes bone and proceeds to destroy it with loud machines...)

"DUDE?!! What the fuck?! I wasn't done with that yet. You fur-less bastard. Dammit. I knew I should've buried that damn thing."

[action=Sentient]likes to imagine dogs cursing.[/action]
    No, she didn't see, or smell, me destroying her bone. She lives with my girlfriend, and is technically her dog, but don't tell either of them that! I love that dog like she is my own. Knowing the dog's personality, she would be happy that the bone went to good use, and that there's a better one coming her way. (gotta reward her generosity!)

Hal, I'm sure that could be done! It could be tricky though, depending on the size of the dots, and the hardness of the bone. First, I would make some small square blanks using the method above. Then chuck the blanks into drill press, spin at low speed and use sandpaper on it (kind of like a vertical lathe). Hmm....I'm almost out of side-dot material too...I just may have to try this tonight!

Kinda scary there are so many places willing to supply bone though...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: elysian 'syrinx'
    MA: dean SE7/GN
    MB: squire 5 string
    Rig: peavey 6505+, JSX cabs

Quote Originally Posted by robanomoly View Post

Hal, I'm sure that could be done! It could be tricky though, depending on the size of the dots, and the hardness of the bone. First, I would make some small square blanks using the method above. Then chuck the blanks into drill press, spin at low speed and use sandpaper on it (kind of like a vertical lathe). Hmm....I'm almost out of side-dot material too...I just may have to try this tonight!

Kinda scary there are so many places willing to supply bone though...
    it is a bit creepy, isn't it? "you're sure you don't want our... special bone stock? we'll need some notice and an alibi."

dude, if you're prepared to give this a go (as i'm totally lost with tools, i'm afraid, i'm a bit of a ponce like that) then i'd be happy to reimburse. obviously i'll understand if that sounds like a tall order though.

i'd be fascinated to know if you think it'd work.

H
    www.talanas.org - 'asylum' (out now)

One needs to be careful who, and how, they ask for bone.

I can give it a try tonight. What diameter would you prefer?

That's very kind of you to offer reimbursement. No worries though, it shouldn't take much time to make. If it works, that's payment enough for me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

One needs to be careful who, and how, they ask for bone.

I can give it a try tonight. What diameter would you prefer?

That's very kind of you to offer reimbursement. No worries though, it shouldn't take much time to make. If it works, that's payment enough for me!
    well i've been asking companies for 12 poles of goat bone, about 5mm deep by almost 2mm across, but i'm swayed by advice really. what do you reckon?

by the way, the goat is simply for necro kudos.

nekrudos.

H

2 mm diameter is going to be a challenge because bone is relatively brittle, but, I like a challenge!

I'm not sure how well it would go trying to glue in 5 mm long segments, one at a time. I can imagine glueing my fingers together while working with such a small piece. I usually drill the hole, put a drop of super glue in the hole, insert the material, let the glue dry for 30 seconds, cut off the excess, repeat. A serated knife, thin hacksaw blade, or a dremel-type cutting disk would probably cut it quite easily. I'll try a couple of methods for you.

Would cow bone still achieve appropriate necro kudos?

ME: RG550
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

Best. Picstory. Ever.

2 mm diameter is going to be a challenge because bone is relatively brittle, but, I like a challenge!

I'm not sure how well it would go trying to glue in 5 mm long segments, one at a time. I can imagine glueing my fingers together while working with such a small piece. I usually drill the hole, put a drop of super glue in the hole, insert the material, let the glue dry for 30 seconds, cut off the excess, repeat. A serated knife, thin hacksaw blade, or a dremel-type cutting disk would probably cut it quite easily. I'll try a couple of methods for you.

Would cow bone still achieve appropriate necro kudos?
    the thing is - it's a total approximation on my side for the depth. i'm just going off what i imagined it to be really.

well cow would be cool, i mean obviously the ideal would be goat if at all possible.

thank you for this, by the way.

H

ME: Ibanez RG 2228
    MA: Ibanez AW AJ307CE
    Rig: Ibanez Thermion

good job
    Sorry for my English

Soon in stores:

- Tremol-YES

- OMG OFR!!!

- Tremol-maybe-kinda

A floyd suspended by trampoline springs on all sides. Forget pivot points! Pitchbend up, down, sideways, catty-corner, diagonally - whatever-the-fuk-floats-your-boat!!!!

LEE ®-™-©