Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunday

Votes: 3 21.4%

Song a week challenge

8K views 76 replies 20 participants last post by  T Gobbs 
#1 ·
I heard a story about a bunch of famous pop guys doing this, and as someone with a congenital inability to stick to self-imposed deadlines, a little peer pressure sounds like it might be helpful.

The rules are:

-You submit a song (written that week) by an agreed upon deadline each week.

-If you don't submit anything, you're eliminated

-last person standing wins

Really, the deadline is the most important part, so the rules can be pretty flexible. Anyone else interested?

#3 ·
I will give this a try

HOWEVER since I'm only away a few hours per day on a 2nd hand store, and others may have full time jobs, that's a bit unfair advantage in my opinion.
So let me have "special rule": One song per week, but once every month I need to submit an extra song more than others. :flex:

However, what requirements for the songs? Do they need vocals, or are instrumentals okay? I understand you are allowed to make how advanced songs you want, but what about a 1:30 minute long punk song?
What about the production/sound... Are full fletched productions preferred or would a 1-guitar track to programmed drum loop be allowed?

I just wonder what bar we set for the challenge. :)

#9 ·
However, what requirements for the songs? Do they need vocals, or are instrumentals okay? I understand you are allowed to make how advanced songs you want, but what about a 1:30 minute long punk song?
What about the production/sound... Are full fletched productions preferred or would a 1-guitar track to programmed drum loop be allowed?

I just wonder what bar we set for the challenge. :)
I'd say the bar is as high as you set it. If you submit a song, you're in. I want make sure this is open to as many people as possible, so I'm not worried too much about the quality of the production (Also because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to that, and I don't want to immediately exclude myself. :lol:)

And if you want to submit more than one a week, go for it!

Is this meant to be full band style?
As long as there's at least one instrument doing something musical, I'd call it good! It just has to be a complete composition. Something like a solo guitar song would be totally cool, but if someone wrote a maiden style song and only submitted the guitar tracks, that might be a bit more iffy.

Is there a length requirement?

:lol:

Length doesn't matter as long as it's a complete musical unit. Don't want to exclude the grindcore guys. :lol:

#12 ·
You know, this sounds cool. as long as i don't have to care about it sounding amazing, this could be my avenue to writing the rest of the crap songs I need for winnebago pentagram.

or just for writing a "song" that I can then tear apart/make better for other stuff.

I'm guessing songs can be any style, and once you've picked something you don't need to stick with that particular sound?

#18 ·
I voted FRIDAY as deadline.

That means one can use the free time during weekends to write the song (which can be the most time consuming) and then the coming week for recording and mixing etc.
And then when friday hits, it's party time :flex: (hopefully most of us submits new songs we can listen to)

I see most others have voted friday too, goodie

#44 ·
Actually, is it perhaps worth starting a mini-season 0 as soon as we can, that'll help people work out best days for it, any recording kinks etc and then start proper in mid January?
Call it a prototype. Or something.

(For those of us without firm holiday commitments it might mean we even get a few songs done this year - ha, like I'll finish anything!)

#46 ·
Actually, is it perhaps worth starting a mini-season 0 as soon as we can, that'll help people work out best days for it, any recording kinks etc and then start proper in mid January?
Call it a prototype. Or something.

(For those of us without firm holiday commitments it might mean we even get a few songs done this year - ha, like I'll finish anything!)
I'd absolutely be down for that. As for timing, for now let's say 11:59 pm GMT that day.

The problem with that, though, is that the second season would have to be tiny since most of the people would still be in the first season. Maybe once a month, or every other month?
My vote would be for each one to be at least a month. Going week by week scares me because I know for a fact that I'd forever be putting it off until the next week. :lol:

#48 ·
You can always just say, "We'll start, and then see where it goes". If you end up starting with say, a dozen guys, have 3 left in week 4 and the same three in week 7 maybe you just start over for week 8 and declare a draw. If it's really for fun and to get people using all their toys and having fun with it, it doesn't really matter, it's about trying to write better, etc. Keep it light and fun and it will succeed. Make it Congress and you know what happens ;)

#50 ·
Yep, I like this, start off with a trial, see how it all flies, then pick a point where everyone starts again. It is supposed to be fun, so the less weird restricting rules the better. I'd actually say since we are near the end of november that we should start in earnest first week of january, i mean, january sucks, noone has any money to go out anyway after xmas, and it's a miserable month.

Doesn't mean we can't have a "beta" trial run now though, that way we can setup soundclouds/bandcamps etc, see what works, what doesn't and get rid of a few teething problems along the way?

#54 ·
Do we have to set this up on Soundcloud, or can I just host tracks on my own server?

I mean, for me I care way less about the "last man standing" side, and more about the impetus to start songwriting again in a big way.

#55 ·
i'd be down to try this .... i hit the wall all the time and then all my shit will drop off for months.

really trying to build some discipline and consistency. Plus for some stupid reason I respect your dumb opinions and feedback is never a bad thing when you're breaking out of boxes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.