The peer pressure thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The peer pressure thread

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpintofinity View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/traviswahlrem...-final/s-DgbaF

This is a piece I composed for my golden retriever that passed away in august. I'm currently in talks with an animator about creating a video for it but holy shit, even for something super simple its expensive. Originally I made the first 4 bars over a year ago and got stuck. they play almost throughout the entire piece. It's a simple C-Em-Am-Dm chord progression, but I made a happy accident when I added in the atmospheric synths by thinking the chord progression was C-Em-Am-F so now I guess technically the chord progression is C-Em-Am-Dm7. I'm done composing it, but I'm taking time off from it before I mix it. If I can save enough for the animation I'll also have it professionally mastered because mastering is a black magic.
    Love the atmospheric vibe. Have you tried 99Designs for animators? Or Fiver? Might be able to get something going for less than you're expecting. I used 99Designs for my latest book cover and it turned out great. There's a ton of great designers and artists on there that don't need to make United States sized paychecks to live very well, so they can do work for a fraction of what an American designer needs to charge to make a living.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    What the hell- why not. Hope this qualifies. I did write it 4 months ago and wanted to share it here but didn't get to it. It's a little 80s style power ballad cheese. I wanted to get that classic 80s drum sound but didn't quite get there. I need to buy that Vahalla Reverb VST for that (although EZ Drummer 2 has an 80s sound for the modern kit which comes real close!).

Drum volume is PERFECT (despite what Iron1 says )

Good sound too, love that snare.

You have a good mix and nice playing. Could have tuned the guitar a bit more carefully before recording tho.

Do you have lyrics+vocal lines for this song? Hook me up and I can give it a shot untless you have somebody else doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpintofinity View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/traviswahlrem...-final/s-DgbaF

This is a piece I composed for my golden retriever that passed away in august. I'm currently in talks with an animator about creating a video for it but holy shit, even for something super simple its expensive. Originally I made the first 4 bars over a year ago and got stuck. they play almost throughout the entire piece. It's a simple C-Em-Am-Dm chord progression, but I made a happy accident when I added in the atmospheric synths by thinking the chord progression was C-Em-Am-F so now I guess technically the chord progression is C-Em-Am-Dm7. I'm done composing it, but I'm taking time off from it before I mix it. If I can save enough for the animation I'll also have it professionally mastered because mastering is a black magic.
    Beatiful composition! I'm sure your dog would have loved to sit by your side and listen to this

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I just finished this one (well, still need vocals and still mix-fiddling) but I'll put it here for now:

First thought: I feel like the drums + guitars don't connect at the first riff at 0:30. Drums plays one pattern and guitar does something completely different.

From 0:55 things takes off and sounds really cool

The part at 2:06 was fun with the stop-starts and panned guitars

However continue listening and when I think about it, I start to suppose that you are using various "premade" drum patterns?
    Because the more I listen to the song the more I feel like many parts don't make sense with guitar riffs.

If so I wont bitch about drums+guitar mismatch. That can be fixed later

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    First thought: I feel like the drums + guitars don't connect at the first riff at 0:30. Drums plays one pattern and guitar does something completely different.

From 0:55 things takes off and sounds really cool

The part at 2:06 was fun with the stop-starts and panned guitars

However continue listening and when I think about it, I start to suppose that you are using various "premade" drum patterns?
    Because the more I listen to the song the more I feel like many parts don't make sense with guitar riffs.

If so I wont bitch about drums+guitar mismatch. That can be fixed later
    Yeah, it's BetaMonkey drum loops. Although I did program a few spots with individual hits, overall it's pre-made loops I use. Thanks for the feedback - still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Yeah, it's BetaMonkey drum loops. Although I did program a few spots with individual hits, overall it's pre-made loops I use. Thanks for the feedback - still a work in progress.
    Ok, cool! Then I wont nitpick about that hehe

allll righty .... wanted to participate but I'm stupid rusty on actually getting shit to (digital) tape so using week 0 as a warm up to get back in the swing of programming drums and DAW workflow.

Nothing special, but did this up last night using just drums/synth/effects, no guitars or anything. Was nice to just go through and make it and then call it done at the end. I can't master or anything so it sounds pretty quiet after rendering but still wouldn't mind some feedback on the actual structure/tones/writing etc. Really trying to do stuff that I wouldn't normally write or dabble in.

Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

Can't say too much about it, not really my cup of tea musically.
    But it's well done, I guess

Get EzMix2 and put some preset master on, that's an easy way to get a decent boost.