Metal Guitarist Forums banner

The peer pressure thread

6K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  T Gobbs 
#1 ·
-Finish your old shit

-Write new shit

-Any genre and length is fine, as long as it's something you finish that week. This is more about actually finishing songs than mixing.

-Post it here

-Give helpful feedback

-If this ends up not being useful, we'll tweak the rules

-No spam :squint:

#2 ·
What the hell- why not. Hope this qualifies. I did write it 4 months ago and wanted to share it here but didn't get to it. It's a little 80s style power ballad cheese. I wanted to get that classic 80s drum sound but didn't quite get there. I need to buy that Vahalla Reverb VST for that (although EZ Drummer 2 has an 80s sound for the modern kit which comes real close!).

#3 ·

This is a piece I composed for my golden retriever that passed away in august. I'm currently in talks with an animator about creating a video for it but holy shit, even for something super simple its expensive. Originally I made the first 4 bars over a year ago and got stuck. they play almost throughout the entire piece. It's a simple C-Em-Am-Dm chord progression, but I made a happy accident when I added in the atmospheric synths by thinking the chord progression was C-Em-Am-F so now I guess technically the chord progression is C-Em-Am-Dm7. I'm done composing it, but I'm taking time off from it before I mix it. If I can save enough for the animation I'll also have it professionally mastered because mastering is a black magic.

#6 ·
Maybe it's because of the backstory you gave but the beginning was reminding me of Neil Young's song at the end of Philadelphia. Hope you're able to see this project through!

#12 ·
First thought: I feel like the drums + guitars don't connect at the first riff at 0:30. Drums plays one pattern and guitar does something completely different.

From 0:55 things takes off and sounds really cool :)

The part at 2:06 was fun with the stop-starts and panned guitars

However continue listening and when I think about it, I start to suppose that you are using various "premade" drum patterns?
Because the more I listen to the song the more I feel like many parts don't make sense with guitar riffs.

If so I wont bitch about drums+guitar mismatch. That can be fixed later :)

#15 ·
allll righty .... wanted to participate but I'm stupid rusty on actually getting shit to (digital) tape so using week 0 as a warm up to get back in the swing of programming drums and DAW workflow.

Nothing special, but did this up last night using just drums/synth/effects, no guitars or anything. Was nice to just go through and make it and then call it done at the end. I can't master or anything so it sounds pretty quiet after rendering but still wouldn't mind some feedback on the actual structure/tones/writing etc. Really trying to do stuff that I wouldn't normally write or dabble in.

#17 ·
thanks ... not sure it's my cup of tea either but just wanted to try for something different. Will definitely be sitting down to do proper tracks for the upcoming weeks, but wanted to sue this one to work out DAW kinks and get used to the synths and drum programming.

Feels weird to not include guitar tracks tbh

#18 ·
Had the intro lick kicking around for a while, and finally decided to do something with it. There were going to be vocals, but I pussed out at the last second, hence the sparse middle section. Also, how do you write drum parts that are actually interesting without being cluttered? This was honestly the best I could do, and it took an embarrassing amount of time.

#19 ·
If you whipped this up in a week, but then had proper time to get it done, I could totally listen to a whole album of this stuff. Good job!

#22 ·
The Song a Week Challenge may be over but I'm still rolling with it. Here's a song I wrote this week that (to me) kind of channels some Richie Sambora rhythms as well as a particular Britny Fox tune from the last album in 2003.

#27 ·
In the interest of this thread living up to its name:

Figured we could play a game once SAW is done.

Write the following songs. They must be completed in this order.

1. Something a power trio could play live (One guitar part (double tracked okay) one bass part, one drum part, vocals optional)
2. Something covered
3. Something short (Two minutes or less in length)
4. Something ripped off (try to copy an artist's style as convincingly as you can without actually plagiarizing anything)
5. Something with a solo
6. Something long (At least 6 minutes in length)

No deadlines. First person to turn in song 6 wins, and then the game immediately starts again at song 1.

Because nobody here seems to be able to post anything without immediately shitting over their own work, submissions are going to look like this:

[ SC ][ /SC ]

2. (band you are covering)
[ SC ] [ /SC ]

4. (band you are ripping off)
[ SC ] [ /SC ]

etc etc

Songs should have actual titles.

Absolutely no chatter once the first song is posted. The idea is to have an endless wall of soundcloud links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.