Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 1

8K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  schreckmusic 
#1 ·
Thread for the first week of the song a week challenge, this is a pre season, so it might end in chaos, or might go wrong around xmas, but it's meant to see how it works, get bandcamp/soundcloud stuff done and just serve the purpose of, well, getting all the fuckups and problems out of the way so we can start properly in january.

Rules:
1) Submissions by end of play Friday 7th of December
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

See less See more
#41 ·
Eh. just created a Soundcloud account. Here's my song, I'm traveling tomorrow so won't have a chance to upload it later anyway. I guess we could gather all songs into one post when the time is out so that they're at least gathered in one place on here.

#53 ·
Dig it. Totally caught me off guard after looking at your avatar for so long and expecting some nitro charged black metal barrage.

^ dig it!

ok here's my official preseason entry.

sorry for the absolute shit drum work, but I ran out of time to go back and actually do it after using a single beat as a metronome throughout. Not my best track, but happy i was able to get it down within the week :)

i really need to get some mastering plugins too cause everything is rendering out overly quiet.

any feedback or overly harsh criticism very welcome!
Really dig the groove to this one. And the drum work isn't half bad at all. Polish this up and it's a winner for sure.

Here's mine... since I have until tomorrow, I'm still going to try and put bass lines on it in the morning, at which point I'll edit out this upload.

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/fear-fall_3-1-8
Only ended up with 20 minutes last night - so I tossed on some bass lines, decided they were perfectly hot, but the guitar lines weren't hot enough so I'm going to re-do all the guitar lines before I post another version.

Here's my entry for thuis week. No bass, no vocals, can't be bothered to do them unless i take this song further, but at least I got one done :D

This is right up my alley. I could easily listen to a whole album of this sort of thing. Love the breakdown right before the lead.

Awesome stuff this week. :metal:

Don't know what the fuck this thing is, but I finished it

I could totally picture myself racing through the canyons north of Sedona, hanging over those cliff edges in my old Corvette with this song blasting from my speakers.

Accidental nth rate satch pastiche....

Good stuff. Not really my cup of tea, but still really good for a week's worth of effort.

Love the variety of all the songs we entered.

#43 ·
^ dig it!

ok here's my official preseason entry.

sorry for the absolute shit drum work, but I ran out of time to go back and actually do it after using a single beat as a metronome throughout. Not my best track, but happy i was able to get it down within the week :)

i really need to get some mastering plugins too cause everything is rendering out overly quiet.

any feedback or overly harsh criticism very welcome!

#44 ·
Here's mine... since I have until tomorrow, I'm still going to try and put bass lines on it in the morning, at which point I'll edit out this upload.

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/fear-fall_3-1-8

#54 ·
This is probably my favorite thing to happen on the forum!

Markus, I totally was NOT expecting that and kept watching your avatar the entire time. :rofl:

Great submissions by everyone and I'm anxious to see how/if this 'competition' will have a noticeable effect on what we're all putting out.

I started mine on Tuesday night, originally building a song around a vocal chorus melody. I tracked the guitars for the chorus first and then went back to the beginning of the song....by the time I got to the chorus I realized it was WAY too poppy sounding for what I came up with for the verses/intro so I scrapped the chorus. Got my ass handed to me at work as I'm currently the target of a bored, over-reaching fire inspector and when I got home Thursday night, I couldn't even hold my pick properly because my hand was so tire/sore from re-wiring lighting fixtures all day. I physically could not play. I'll probably wrap up the music today and maybe get started on vocals, it'll definitely be ready for next week.

I have the feeling by the end of this, I'll scrap half the tunes I have for my album and use these tunes instead.

#60 ·
The first week is over, but here's an updated version of mine with bass lines. Time to start on a song for week two...

Any idea why I'm getting the "this track can't be played outside SoundCloud" message?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.