Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Song a week challenge: (Pre) Season 0, Week 1

8K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  schreckmusic 
#1 ·
Thread for the first week of the song a week challenge, this is a pre season, so it might end in chaos, or might go wrong around xmas, but it's meant to see how it works, get bandcamp/soundcloud stuff done and just serve the purpose of, well, getting all the fuckups and problems out of the way so we can start properly in january.

Rules:
1) Submissions by end of play Friday 7th of December
2) Even if noone can check, the spirit is writing a song a week
3) No rules on genre, you don't even need to do the same style next week
4) Must be a song, unless you have a very (and I mean the kind that is beyond the ability of mere mortals) good argument for playing the same riff for 3+ minutes it won't fly
5) Entries composed on a tascam or without drums, whatever, also welcome, this is about writing a song, not dressing it up in lipstick and a short skirt
6) If you don't submit, you're eliminated (but you can still keep on submitting anyway as practice, this way the competitives get to be competitive, and the less so inclined still get to join in).

We will not:
1) Make people feel bad about mixing skills by turning this into a mixtest competition, it's about getting a load of us writing to a deadline, this is about writing, not about how awesome your headless kiesel sounds through an axe fx with superior drummer
2) Make people feel bad about how well it's recorded
3) Spam thread with songs we've had lying around for ages or anything non relevant to this competition and it's rules
4) Discourage anyone from participating
5) Tell anyone they suck. Songwriting is a skill, you learn it, some people will be better, others worse, this isn't a pissing competition
6) Steal others work or ideas.

See less See more
#16 ·
Yeah, we'll run it next week as well. This is just pre season, so it's more to get everyone doing stuff and ironing out gremlins. I've found that after today I'll probably just do 1-2 days of quick arranging and drum programming and then leave it, as getting everything perfect is not going to make or break it, it's like prototyping, if I like it, then I can run with it later on and develop it more, but my aim is just to get a basic riff structure I can work on next year, or later on. That and just doing something every week.

I started with very firm plans for a Foo Fighters-esque song....

... and as a result what I've got now is half of a bad Satch tune...

Intent != Outcome.
I did a bit of jamming yesterday using the triaxis rig, and that's coming out nice, although I wish I'd restrung the guitar, but as I didn't, I'm just going to have to keep going.The strings are really manky, and I think they're dissolving my fingers

#22 ·
I've written my song now and have programmed the drums and recorded some scratch tracks - now I just need to come up with some more lyrics, which is pretty difficult for me as I'm no poet.

I also have a nagging feeling of the chorus melody sounding somehow familiar, but I hope that's just that it's a pretty common chord progression. Happened to me years ago that I came up with a super cool riff that turned out to be Solarfall by Immortal - luckily with that I didn't come far enough to ever record it as that would have been embarrassing.

#25 ·
well fuck me I did it.

Its copy pasted to fuck because I couldnt be arsed properly recording it and many bits need played better but today is the last time I will get a chance for about a week.

I doubt this type of black metal has many followers on here so flame away!

Enjoy the grim soundclound compression.

#26 ·
I'm in!

Wish I saw this when it was posted because I would have started already! Funny, I was at work and thinking about doing this just to get back into my studio and try to get some creativity flowing again. Had a stressful couple of months at work and didn't feel like even peaking in the studio.

#31 ·
Cheers
Yeah the whole thing needs 're done as the performance is pish and the harmonies will pop more with double tracking as that's just a guitar either side

Also getting a balanced snare that's not like a shotgun and not whisper quiet on blasts is something that causes me a great deal of liver function

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.