After getting back into playing a bit I have discovered the following:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After getting back into playing a bit I have discovered the following:

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

After getting back into playing a bit I have discovered the following:

I have played guitar for a long time (since late 70s) but as the years went by found myself playing less and less where it got to the point if I was lucky if I played for an hour a month. Last May I decided to stop being a bitch of a scrub and get back into playing a bit.

I actually spent money and bought some new gear. I spent a good bit of money actually - New head, new cab, new pedalboard and power supply, bunch of pedals. I jumped back in with both feet and no parachute.

After getting all of my new stuff, setting everything up and having at it something became clear almost immediately: I got really terrible at playing guitar.

Things that were once easily played were now difficult and barely playable.
    My Legato went to shit.
    My picking went to shit.
    Phrasing - shit ...
    yadda yadda yadda.

I kept digging away at it...
    I worked on my guitar setup a bit. I still struggled but that helped a great deal.
    I never noticed how incredibly bright my RG 550 was before. It almost reminded me of single coils and even the Neck Blaze sounded bright. This was a bit off-putting but I kept at it. I also started playing my 7 more and more.

I continued digging away and began wondering if the Orange Amp was a wrong call. It sounds so amazing for chugging/ rhythm but I could not get a lead tone that I was happy with.
    I did a ton of research on boosts and bought a TS clone and it helped a lot.

Kept going after it but second-guessing everything along the way.
    Is the TS clone really helping all that much?? Do I need a different boost? Different Pickups? Should I just buy a 5150? Do I need a different guitar?

I decided no more cash would be spent - I was going to make what I have work.

I dug in deeper.

The Orange is very open and lacks a lot of compression and this leads to notes not sustaining quite as long as I was used to. This forced me to actually play cleanly. Bitch picking would not cut it at all. Playing was a struggle. This was making me work for every note. Even with the variable wattage output / headroom/bedroom switch I struggled with getting decent tone at low volume. I was becoming a bit frustrated.

I worked on my setup a bit more and kept plugging away at it. Tuned my seven down to D, I tuned my 550 down to D. I tuned my hard tail to C.

Some days were better than others. Some days things were almost passable but mostly I thought everything just sounded like complete ass and I cannot play worth a shit any more.

I kept at it.

I spent 6 months, gradually increasing the amount of time spent playing, constantly fiddling with settings on everything and guitar setups and then finally, one day...

Shit just magically clicked into place and BAM the glorious tone had returned.
    I can play my seven better than ever now. Before, even though I played it quite a bit it just never clicked as well as a 6. It seemed like the low B was oftentimes just in the way. Now I don't notice it at all. It just works.

I have more than enough sustain. Even with the volume backed off and the TS turned off I have enough sustain. You have to work for it a bit but it is there.

For the first time the volume control actually does amazing things. Back off the volume and it cleans it so nicely. On my Line 6 and ADA backing off the volume just decreased volume - it didn't clean anything up. Even on my Laney AOR it didn't clean up.

So what is next?

Going to keep working on improving as a player and try to learn a bit about recording and mastering. I have some ideas I would like to try and record at some point. Who knows I may even learn how to sweep pick

No real point to this ramble just wanted to share...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Great to hear that you want to improve even after all these years! That's a good attitude!

My suggestion is, before you start learning sweeps and shit... Get as fucking tight as possible in your rhythm/riffing skills.
    And I don't mean like "ok thats good" but Dimebag/Hetfield/Schaffer tight riffing.

Record yourself to drumbeats and just nail everything on spot like a machine. All notes audiable, proper palm muting and work on string skipping with the pick so you dont accidently hit wrong strings at any point.

For me personally, theres nothing more satisfying than being able to tightly play through an entire song.
    Practicing to get tight riffing is BORING and requires a lot of concentration... but the result is definitely worth it!

In the end this tightness will affect your lead playing too.

Thats just my suggestion I hope you find some enjoyment out of it!

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Good on you for sticking with it and happy to read it's come back to you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Things that were once easily played were now difficult and barely playable.
    My Legato went to shit.
    My picking went to shit.
    Phrasing - shit ...
    yadda yadda yadda.
    It's cool, I feel like that most days, lol.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    No real point to this ramble just wanted to share...
    Good stuff. Yeah, I think the cliff notes on what you went through is not playing so long, what you're thinking sounds good on paper or how you remember it is different than how it is in practice. I was on hiatus for a year or two myself and I did kinda the same thing... committed to getting going again, bought a bunch of stuff (new gear is also motivating and inspiring), some of it worked and some of it didn't, slogged enough that eventually I knew what I was looking for and eventually got "there".

My only advice on the playing part of it, one of the things I encountered when I jumped back into playing... there was a disconnect between 1.) bands I wanted to sound like 2.) bands I listen to 3.) what I consider impressive guitar playing 4.) what things I was working on from a technical perspective. I'd be impressed by a guy like Paul Gilbert, but I'd be practicing diminished sweepy arpeggios (which he CAN do but isn't his 'sound'), and listening to... idk, probably synth music or tech death or something. Everything was too disjointed and I'd catch myself just noodling scales mindlessly or jamming songs I'd already known for the last 15 years.

I eventually got more realistic with regard to taking on playing music I actually like and that I listen to, and setting that as my standard, as far as what I considered impressive, closer to the stuff I'm listening to. So it stopped feeling like work. I mean, eventually I expanded my inspirations (mostly by expanding my tastes as a LISTENER first) but finding something that feels like "home" first goes a long way.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Thanks guys.

Ced Yeah I agree being tight is very important. been practicing that a ton. I have a metronome I practice with. I don't have a daw yet but I plan on getting one an audio interface soon so I can see just how terrible things are

Drew shut up you can play a un-tuned fisher price guitar through an aquarium and it sounds glorious.

Randy yeah I had a bit of a disconnect with what i enjoyed previously versus what I like now and had to go through a process of trial and error and struggle to get somewhere that works for me. I didn't want to take the route of just throwing cash at stuff until it worked. I knew the stuff I had would work but it would take a bit more effort on my part for it to pay off. I mean you go to youtube and you see guys demo stuff and the stuff they put out is perfectly mixed and mastered and then here's me plonking along in my closet of lolitude just trying to get anything sounding decent at all.

Its easy to get up an a trap of telling yourself everything you do is derivative, unoriginal or horrible. I find myself constantly wondering if stuff is cheesy, terrible or good. I suffer from Impostor syndrome a bit and have a hard time feeling like anything I do is good enough or even passably good. So once it finally clicked I was very very happy and felt like I made some progress.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

The only question that's important... "Am I having fun?"