MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Case in point...

Normal wiggle:
    For Valentine's Day: Tell me about your wiggle stick-wiggle-jpg

Gilmour wiggle:
    For Valentine's Day: Tell me about your wiggle stick-gilmour-wiggle-jpg

In searching for those images, it looks like some Gilmour strats ship with one, and some with the other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Valentine's Day: Tell me about your wiggle stick-wiggle-jpg   For Valentine's Day: Tell me about your wiggle stick-gilmour-wiggle-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Michael Lee Firkins does some pretty interesting stuff with the trem:

"How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    vibrato with your fretting hand only really give you your note+sharp where as a vocalist can oscillate sharp AND flat in a vibrato.
    It's actually easier than you might think to get flattening vibrato. I tried it after seeing a video where Vai was explaining his circular hand motion vibrato, saying he gets it to go flat and sharp. "Bullshit", I thought, it would require an impractical amount of pressure on metal strings to get it to go flat. Then I tried, and it's pretty easy. Just use a classical style vibrato, not the 'bend the string up and down' type.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Case in point...

Normal wiggle:
    For Valentine's Day: Tell me about your wiggle stick-wiggle-jpg

Gilmour wiggle:
    For Valentine's Day: Tell me about your wiggle stick-gilmour-wiggle-jpg

In searching for those images, it looks like some Gilmour strats ship with one, and some with the other.
    They ship with both. Came in here to post specifically about Gilmour as he's one of the masters of this. Growing up on him and Vai, whammy usage was always part of my playing style. Even Vai keeps his in his hand while he's playing. I like to use mine for slurs/joining notes at longer intervals.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    FWIW, Gilmour has always used a shortened wiggle stick, for the same reason, likely, that Lynch chokes up on his; to keep it subtle.
    Gave this a try this morning (the 'choked up' version) and was surprised how well it works. The motion is way more natural than the 'jerkiness' full gripping it on the far edge, it's also easier to keep gripped while you're playing. Neat tip

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    It's actually easier than you might think to get flattening vibrato. I tried it after seeing a video where Vai was explaining his circular hand motion vibrato, saying he gets it to go flat and sharp. "Bullshit", I thought, it would require an impractical amount of pressure on metal strings to get it to go flat. Then I tried, and it's pretty easy. Just use a classical style vibrato, not the 'bend the string up and down' type.
    Hmmm, never considered that but the logic is there. I'll give that a shot.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Anyway, anybody else using they bar for vibrato at all? Any tips on technique or how you have your guitar setup?
    Yup. Wang overuser here. For vibrato, especially on runs that end on a sustained note on the little finger of the fretboard hand. And if I'm playing melodies I need the wang bar for anyway, I'll sometimes add vibrato with it too, depending on the sound I want. I practice making finger vibrato sound like I'm using the bar, and vice versa, to give me more options as I play.

I sometimes put the bar between my picking hand's fingers so I can still hold the pick as normal while manipulating the bar in both directions with some force (for larger intervals).

Bridges set to float, three springs straight, bars with as little play as possible, 'cause that drives me bonkers. Cassidy did me a great favour by suggesting ways of keeping Ibanez bars nice and snug (reshape the bushings/stuff them with polythene bag scraps).

Recommended listening: Firkins (as above), Jan Cyrka, Jeff Beck, Reb Beach.

The whole flutter thing is getting a bit tired.

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Recommended listening: Firkins (as above), Jan Cyrka, Jeff Beck, Reb Beach.

The whole flutter thing is getting a bit tired.
    Beck's use of vibrato in "Now We've Ended as Lovers" is like, the bar of vibrato usage, in my book

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

^^Er, sure, but there's no "wiggle stick" action involved as per this thread. As far as I know, the original version of that tune was recorded on the famous "Tele with humbuckers" put together by Seymour Duncan.

I've remembered a great source of wang inspiration: the sadly recently deceased Michael Caswell. Check out the material he did for Lick Library for great bar control.