Getting used to a longer scale length... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting used to a longer scale length...

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

I thought it would, but so far it hasn't been a thing at all - now when I got the shorter LTD that messed with me...
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Not really. I mean, there were a few songs in my old band that became a lot harder to play because my fingers already had to stretch quite a bit in 25.5", but then they had to stretch a lot more when I got 27". But other than that, I had no issues. I had a lot more problems playing the 8 string I owned for a few years than I ever did playing a baritone. Even when I first started playing it, I didn't really have any issues, but I've heard that some people take a little time to get used to it.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've actually been trying to be a bit more disciplined when it comes to practicing instead of just jamming and it helping a good deal.

I played a 6 string for the first time in quite a while yesterday and I was a bit surprised that I missed the extra string.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I tried a 26.5" thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, but I just couldn't learn to love it. I sold it and then UPS smashed it in shipping. And that's my story about the only 26.5" scale length guitar I owned.

C'est la vie.

ME: '87 Duesenberg
    Rig: MP-2 + TSR-24S + Vortex

Had a Schecter Riot 8 ltd a few years back; no biggie getting used to the rather smallish longer scale.
    I have medium sized hands, pinkies a Bit shorter than wanted, but still no big deal.
    I also sometimes used my Wolf 7 35" bass for ultra long scale baritone works; a Bit more scale getting used to..

For me, playing longer scales is mostly a matter of correct ergonomics and posture, and as such, classical position when sitting down, and having the instrument strapped a Bit higher when, well, strapped up - which also menas avoiding neck-heavy instruments.

I fully agree with those referring multiscaling, as this lends itself to more correct hand movements, especially when fretting close to the body, where the hand can't be angled too much.
    Never had a multiscale one yet, but likely will have me a Jackson DKAF 8 mx, 26-28", next time.
    Know Thy Self. Know Thy Law. Do What Thou Wilt

ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

I had an Iron Label 8 string and a Dean ML 8 string for a while and it wasn't the scale length the screwed with me, having smaller hands did with that massive fretboard, lol! Also has a LTD SC607b for a while, fantastic guitar, probably should've kept it, lol! My main guitar these days is my Ibanez RGIB6(28" scale)and it wasn't bad to get used to and it sounds amazing in drop A, I've also got a BC Rich Bich that has a 30" scale, now that took some getting used to, still working on that, lol! Kind of on the hunt for a 27" baritone 6 string to add to the toolbox. As has been mentioned posture, position has helped me a lot along with regularly switching around scale lengths.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I played bass before I played guitar, so I've never really had issues with scale length. That said, you can do stretches aimed at alleviating tendinitis that kind of loosen up your hand and fingers.

Also, doing an activity like kayaking helps a lot. Uses a lot of the same muscle groups.

A lot of it is just keeping your hand loose and not cramped up, so any activity or stretching can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    At one point I was like "this is only an inch difference so why does it feel like I am playing a Bass"

I practiced for about 2 hours yesterday and the last 45 min or so things were clicking a good bit better.

My Thumb was the main pain culprit which is no surprise as It seemed like that is where my troubles arose. I couldn't get my thumb in the right position. I tend to wrap it over the top of the fingerboard when I shouldn't and had neck transition issues as a result.

Slowing down has helped a ton and as I am trying to play hyper clean, slow is definitely the way to go there.

I actually shopped the hell out of fan fret and basically had it narrowed down to the Ormsby Hype GTR, Kiesel, Balaguer, or RGD71ALMS but then did a complete turn-about and went for the Schecter. Was just something about it...
    I don't think thumb over the top is a big deal. In the beginning, I was way into classical technique and having your thumb in the proper orientation relative to the back of the neck, but at some point I must have stopped caring. I don't even consciously realize I do the thumb over the top thing.

Also, classical is played seated, and the guitar is in a similar position to "chest rocking", playing guitar at a lower height is like, there is no fucking way I could have my thumb in classical position on the lower frets on an explorer at the classic explorer strap height.

Firmly in the "don't worry about it" camp when it comes to thumbs. If you are playing classical in the seated position with a footrest and your thumb is coming over the top, yeah, that's weird. Electric, especially on the higher frets, not so much.

I actually think that both bends and vibrato are significantly harder to do if you don't have your thumb over the top. The kind of muscles in your forearm going on for that work a lot better when your thumb is pushing against something.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

So fast forward to now and I am so used to this scale length now that 25.5 seems off and odd

I am not obsessing over thumb placement either it clicked and now I do not think about hand position at all.

I'm making a conscious effort to play my other stuff more now so the scale difference isn't as jarring.