Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Play the guitar at 26000 bpm

Tags
bpm guitar play
5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  mpexus 
#1 ·
I just found a guy who managed to play at 720bpm after I found another that he did at 1500, I returned to find another who did 2000 after 4000 and finally found a guy who achieved a speed of what seems be 26000bpm, 466 notes per second, I just want to ask one thing, at what speed is really touching? Is it true that it hits 26,000 bpm? or maybe less or even more?

#20 ·
:zombie:

Not this bellend again! :ugh: :dick: Back in the days of Ye Olde Internets (Racer X band message board, actually still somewhat alive even now) someone who went to MI with Paus recounted a tale of his pulling his whole "I'm faster than Shawn Lane" schtick in front of an instructor who knew the late great shredder personally...

anyone can play at any BPM, it's a question of what Division that BPM is being used for. ;)
Do you mean like Crooks Division or Noodles Division? Which was the faster Division?

Btw if somebody wonders the TV show is swedish, but the guitarist seems to be from Norway
Some kind soul has produced English subtitles for this 'historic document' - I'm sorry, I misquoted him - "fun and fascinating piece of history":

Worth watching for the details of the Oslo plod officiating his Guinness Book performance. :rofl: OTOH: Guinness = :beer: :yesway:

fucking pink RG
Wait, what?! Mods, I'm receiving a distress call! Mattayus has been captured and is being held against his will! Much as an inverted Union Jack :uk: is a distress signal:

So too is the misidentification of a genuine JEM 777 SK as a simple RG!

Suit up, assemble and rescue Mattayus!
:commando:

He's wearing a raincoat because he foolishly expected all the ladies in the audience to fountain all over him during that shit
Verbed noun: :yesway: :agreed: :flex:

Funnily enough, he's a classical composer these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Paus
Honestly, that looks more like his principal occupation is editing his own Wikipedia page. Someone who doesn't :dgaf: ought to flag it.

The title of this thread is such a joke. 26,000bpm as if such a bpm actually exists. I mean, why stop there? Why not call it 26,000,000bpm?

I think the fastest actual bpm I've ever heard was maybe 360bpm?
I think the faster BPMs turn into oscillations in Hertz and then become quantifiable as pitches. FWIW: I'm sure I've seen bebop cats hitting 400 BMP, but they aren't playing many notes per beat. Of course that's quick, but it's more about the feel... Quavers at 400 BPM will have a different feel to semiquavers at 200 BPM.

#9 ·
For a brief period of about 2 years, around the age of 18, I found shred/shredding/notes-per-second/bpm really interesting, and something to aspire to. Now I honestly, sincerely, well and truly cannot fathom anything more pointless in the history of music. Shred/shredders are bad enough. But stuff like this, where it's literally a sport, should be made illegal. Absolutely fuck this guy and his pointless fucking "talent". Go write a sick solo we'd all actually remember, with your fucking pink RG and... goddam... fucking... raincoat? Why the fuck are you wearing a raincoat?...

#21 ·
Playing as fast as you can for the sake of playing as fast as you can is FUN, and I have no problems with it.

It's not, however, music, and I don't want to listen to it unless you find a way to do something interesting with that speed. Which is also fun, but m,,ore importantly pleasant to listen to.

#22 ·
That said, 1) I moved this to the correct forum, and 2)

...and finally found a guy who achieved a speed of what seems be 26000bpm, 466 notes per second, I just want to ask one thing, at what speed is really touching? Is it true that it hits 26,000 bpm? or maybe less or even more?
...there are some pretty clear issues with this claim, one of the biggest being that a frequency of 466 notes per second is slightly faster than the 440 vibrations per second that a middle C vibrates at, so if this claim were true there are some pretty major issues with actually playing pitches at this rate since - someone with a better background in physics can probably confirm this for me - I would suspect that any note with a vibrational frequency below 466 (probably around C#, maybe D, above middle C?) wouldn't actually be able to sound...?

#23 ·
That said, 1) I moved this to the correct forum, and 2)

...there are some pretty clear issues with this claim, one of the biggest being that a frequency of 466 notes per second is slightly faster than the 440 vibrations per second that a middle C vibrates at, so if this claim were true there are some pretty major issues with actually playing pitches at this rate since - someone with a better background in physics can probably confirm this for me - I would suspect that any note with a vibrational frequency below 466 (probably around C#, maybe D, above middle C?) wouldn't actually be able to sound...?
Correct. The string wouldn't even oscillate once before the next note came. Really, even notes higher than 466 Hz wouldn't vibrate long enough to be perceived as a note. What would actually happen is that you'd hear a 466 Hz tone, since repeated noises (the pick attack) at that rate are perceived by our ears as pitch. You can see this for yourself by setting a click track in your DAW to a ridiculous speed; eventually, it just starts to sound like a single frequency instead of a series of clicks.

#28 ·
I know its not the same ok, but lets remove the Instrument from the equation. is this mindless Shredding too?
Yes and no. Mindless, no. Shred, yes.

There's a lot of classical music that conveys emotions with a lot less notes.

You'd have to get into a whole thing about "fast playing" in music in general. There's shredding in classical, shredding in metal, shredding in country (bluegrass) and shredding in jazz. And even those things, you can break down even further.

I'd break down my distinctions into... idk, three categories. Composed shred, improvised shred and I guess maybe, competitive shred?

Most of what you're showing in the classical example is what I'd consider "composed shred". It's something that's written to be deliberately technically demanding. No statement about how enjoyable it is to listen to for the average music listener, but it's supposed to be "impressive" to the listener for the difficulty to write/play but also "impressive" when you hear it performed (this is very common in classical performance) for being able to execute something someone else wrote and played at such a high level.

Obviously VERY high in the skill department, and not mindless.

This would be an example of that:

"Improvised shred" is something you see a lot in jazz, bluegrass and blues. There's an actual "song" there in the traditional sense, but the compositions are usually designed fairly simple, maybe one or two verses max, chorus and that's pretty much it. The bulk of the run-time is usually in the improvising, though, and the song is composed accordingly. One of the usual examples of this would be a song like "Sweet Home Chicago" or really any 12-bar blues type tune. The main feature is a section in the middle where, typically, the musicians all take turns improvising a solo and trading off to the next person.

The "song" part is probably the part designed to appeal the the listener the most, but the jam could be interesting depending. Usually this is music by nerds for nerds, since the most enjoyable part of it is typically being one of the people up on stage and either showing off or seeing what the next person will come up with.

This is also pretty high in the skill department, as it requires playing through changes and along with a preset composition. Typically involves some theory knowledge or at least a good ear. I'd even consider something like "free jazz" to fit in here, because even improvising over a piece with NO strong footing in the key is still a matter of creating an atmosphere and aesthetic with the playing in the context of what it's played over.

My example of "improvised shred":

Then there's "competitive shred" which is pretty much the video in the OP or yeah, a lot of that MAB or Rusty Cooley stuff. "Betcha Can't Play This" is kind of a universal example of that. This doesn't get a lot of respect in the guitar community but you see it more in extreme drumming. Seems to mostly be an anomaly of metal music although I guess you could say that thing with Kenny G playing the note for the longest time qualifies. There's some overlap into the "composed shred" category, in that it can be used in actual music but it's usually a lot LESS about how well the part fits a song and more about literally just turning the speed up to 11.

Typically skillful, but I guess more focus on athleticism. Fairly mindless. So-so enjoyable to most people.

It's actually a pretty good song in it's own right but kicks (and the blasts) in this tune are pretty famously "fast-for-the-sake-of-being-fast".

#32 ·
:)

Tks for the replies guys.

I like shredding even if its mindless although hearing it all the time gets boring super fast. Of course the examples I gave are comparing Apples to Oranges. The video on the OP is just nothing, at least Batio knows to properly play even though it's a shame that he dedicated his entire life to be the fastest player ever.

I agree with Randy that some parts on my examples are just technical skill masturbation show off. Do I appreciate it? Skill wise? hell yeah, and musically? Some parts yes others no. I feel Jazz is a bit the same, When everyone starts playing a different thing without any melodic meaning it just becomes... a melting pot fuck fest that make me shut down the music, sorry Jazz lovers I must sound like a caveman saying this, but I just cant get along with it.

Final note I really dig that Flehsgod Tune... the drums are like that not to show show off the skill but to be the most Brutal thing ever made with that Instrument, and to me Francesco Paoli did i. He is no longer the drummer he is now the Rhythm guitar and Vocals and their new drummer cant play it like he did ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.