Should one learn classical guitar to know their insrument?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should one learn classical guitar to know their insrument?

ME: Ibanez GIO GSA60
    Rig: Peavey Blazer

Should one learn classical guitar to know their insrument?

I was wondering if someone should know classical guitar to know their instrument.

Cause a musician told me that the best way to learn a instrument is to learn classical.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

If your instrument is classical guitar, then sure.

If it's electric guitar, is it really your instrument?

I own a Ibanez 6 string electric

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Nah- I don’t see it. The playing styles are completely different. Certainly the finger dexterity you would develop playing classical guitar would be a benefit on electric but, otherwise? Nah.

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

Quote Originally Posted by Metalkitsune View Post
    I own a Ibanez 6 string electric
    I'm pretty sure astrocreep wasn't rhetorically asking what your physical instrument is but rather what you consider to be the instrument you want to learn.

If you want to learn classical guitar, as in the style of playing and the music that comes with classical guitar, then yes learn classical guitar. It would be a waste, in my opinion, to learn classical guitar with the idea that you will be better at playing rock/metal/blues/jazz.

If you want to be better at playing guitar, as in the general techniques, theory, and notes on the neck, then take some lessons or watch some YouTube lesson videos on those things.

You will also learn a lot by learning from your guitar heroes. For me I learned a lot of my style and how I like to phrase things by learning solos and riffs from guys John Mayer, SRV, Jimi, John Petrucci, and more I can't remember right now.

I want to be better at playing guitar, as in the general techniques,theory, and notes on the neck.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Nah, there are only twelve notes. The theory behind every genre is pretty much the same. There is no difference between classical theory and metal theory. Shit is universal. Modes and scales and all that.

The major difference with classical is the vast, vast majority of metal guitar is a single voice. Traditional classical is quasi dual voice. Because your thumb is filling a different function in the lower registers while your fingers are doing shit on the upper strings.

Honestly, it's it's own thing. There are a couple metal guitarists who are sick at it. I play classical, and I can play fingerstyle, because I started on bass, but grasping true classical technique that revolves around your thumb in the lower registers and your fingers in the upper ones is its own skill. Hard to learn too.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Also, worth noting, you can't play real classical without being sick at sight reading. Which is a great skill to have, but rare, and takes a lot of discipline.

You can play awesome sounding shit on a classical just knowing general guitar techniques. But playing actual classical guitar where you are sight reading and understanding on the fly what bits the thumb does and what bits the fingers do is fucking tough. That takes years and years to master. You are better off just learning general scale shapes, unless you want to be a legendary classical guitarist in its own right. Sight reading music where the thumb and the fingers are doing two different voices has pretty limited useful applications in pick style metal.