2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Average heart rate, and the time spent in certain heart rate zones, is a far more effective measurement of effort than whatever calories a piece of exercise equipment is reporting. It's also why many of use Strava; the relative effort it assigns to individual actives is really, really useful for tracking how much work you're putting in.
    Yeah, this, though you also want to have some idea what your max is so you can accurately define heart rate zones. Absolutely go for broke either running up a long-ass hill wearing a heart rate monitor, or on a spin bike, and go until you think you're going to pass out, puke, or suffocate. Wherever your HR maxes out on that effort, that's a pretty good estimation. Barring that, 220 minus age is a pretty standard way to ballpark it.

Calories used the way you are are probably fine, but all my personal trainer friends bitch about Fitbits because the methodology isn't especially accurate (not to sell them short, they do fine based on the data they have, but without a direct way of measuring output it's just a crude estimate) and it encourages people to think about how many calories they can take back in after a workout, which is problematic if the estimation happens to be something like 10-20% too high (not uncommon). Time alone isn't great, because a 30 minute walk and a 30 minute threshold-zone run are going to have two VERY different impacts on your overall health and fitness. Time at a subjectively measured strenuously effort isn't bad, but again you have to be honest with yourself.

Really, the gold standard, if you care about tracking calories burned, is some sort of direct estimation of your energy output. If the spin bike you're on includes power metering, then awesome - that should get you pretty close, and as your heartrate tends to drop for an equivalent effort as you build fitness as your body is better able to handle the stress. But, that's uncommon and the serious spinners I know seem to care mostly about heart rate and cadence, so I don't imagine they're common.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Epi G400 LP Custom
    MB: EDB600/605

My biggest hurdle with cardio is focusing on distance vs. calories/time, I always tend to lock in at "what specific increment can I do in XX" vs. "I should see if I can run for this long at this pace" but now that I know what I can do speed/distance wise, I'm desperate to change it up and just see how far I can go.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    My biggest hurdle with cardio is focusing on distance vs. calories/time, I always tend to lock in at "what specific increment can I do in XX" vs. "I should see if I can run for this long at this pace" but now that I know what I can do speed/distance wise, I'm desperate to change it up and just see how far I can go.
    Aye, drop that habit if you can. Just crush it for 30 mins. Then when that gets easy, crush it for 45. etc etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    the relative effort it assigns to individual actives is really, really useful for tracking how much work you're putting in.
    Or how much work you aren't putting in, so your buddies can ruthlessly insult you for mailing it in on a day when you should be getting after it.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Pushing distance isn't a bad way to continue to drive yourself, but again, you want to try to keep the effort up too. Extreme example, but I have a 3 3/4 mile commute into work every morning that depending on traffic and how hard I'm going can take 15-20 minutes. I'm riding my fast bike at the moment with a power meter because my gravel bike is in the shop, and this morning it took me 16 minutes of moving time to get in. Based on power output Strava calculated a training load of 14 this morning. Sunday afternoon, my girlfriend and I went for a ride around Fresh Pond and down to the Esplanade, and we did 18.3 miles in 1 3/4 hours. Based on power output and time in power zones, my training load was 15. The last "proper" ride I did, a quickie 20-miler in a little over an hour, was a training load of 73.

Distance alone or time alone doesn't really work here, you want some kind of metric that relates time and effort. Strava's relative effort, when given HR data, really isn't bad here, so if you have a Fitbit or Apple Watch or something that measures heart rate reasonably well, then a premium Strava membership would give you a pretty good way to track the interaction of intensity and time in a single metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Or how much work you aren't putting in, so your buddies can ruthlessly insult you for mailing it in on a day when you should be getting after it.
    I resemble this.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yeah, this, though you also want to have some idea what your max is so you can accurately define heart rate zones. Absolutely go for broke either running up a long-ass hill wearing a heart rate monitor, or on a spin bike, and go until you think you're going to pass out, puke, or suffocate. Wherever your HR maxes out on that effort, that's a pretty good estimation. Barring that, 220 minus age is a pretty standard way to ballpark it.
    I just started with the 220 minus age formula, and then changed my max every time I hit a higher rate on a workout. That's how I got to 190bpm (the formula says I should be 176bpm); I hit that peak on the top of a particularly brutal climb, and was starting to get tunnel vision. Zone 5 isn't something anyone should be aiming for early on, since your body needs to grow accustomed to it. That's how you get heart attacks.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Pushing distance isn't a bad way to continue to drive yourself, but again, you want to try to keep the effort up too. Extreme example, but I have a 3 3/4 mile commute into work every morning that depending on traffic and how hard I'm going can take 15-20 minutes. I'm riding my fast bike at the moment with a power meter because my gravel bike is in the shop, and this morning it took me 16 minutes of moving time to get in. Based on power output Strava calculated a training load of 14 this morning. Sunday afternoon, my girlfriend and I went for a ride around Fresh Pond and down to the Esplanade, and we did 18.3 miles in 1 3/4 hours. Based on power output and time in power zones, my training load was 15. The last "proper" ride I did, a quickie 20-miler in a little over an hour, was a training load of 73.
    ..take your murder bike out for a proper ride, you fat lazy cunt.