2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right on man. Before you start running regularly, do yourself a favor and go to a proper running store to get help picking the right running shoes. I don't mean some schlep at the mall who works at Foot Locker - find a dedicated shoe store that specializes in it. You might pay a bit more - like $90 at the shop vs. $75 on Amazon, but having someone put you in the right shoe makes all the difference in the world.

I used to hate running until I found a shop that took 15-20 minutes with me to figure out what shoe worked out the best. Then I ran a ton and lost almost 50lbs. Running sucks WAY less when it doesn't make your feet and shins hurt all the time.

Good luck man, go get it.
    Great idea mang, I haven't done that in probably 6-7 years. I ended up with the Brooks Beast last time, because I overpronate, however I'm going to ask to be fitted into a slightly less structured shoe because it felt like running on a platform.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right on man. Before you start running regularly, do yourself a favor and go to a proper running store to get help picking the right running shoes. I don't mean some schlep at the mall who works at Foot Locker - find a dedicated shoe store that specializes in it. You might pay a bit more - like $90 at the shop vs. $75 on Amazon, but having someone put you in the right shoe makes all the difference in the world.

I used to hate running until I found a shop that took 15-20 minutes with me to figure out what shoe worked out the best. Then I ran a ton and lost almost 50lbs. Running sucks WAY less when it doesn't make your feet and shins hurt all the time.

Good luck man, go get it.
    Yeah, this is good advice - and even for walking shoes. I noticed a few months ago that my knees were hurting for seemingly no reason, but after a while noticed that it was because of my shoes. Specifically because of how I step, the shoes get bent inward, putting stress on the knee. Went to a shoe store that knew what they were doing, sold me some good shoes, and the knee problems were gone.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

3Q check-in, I finished the quarter at 3,800 miles, more than any full year to date. I was exactly 1,000 in the first quarter and I think exactly 2,000 in Q2, so that means I did 1,000 miles each quarter for the first two quarters of the year and 1,800 for the third. Had I not broken my collarbone when I did I'd likely be in the mid-4000s right now, but even then after my B2VT make-up ride I'm ahead of track for 5,000 for the first time this year.

I haven't run a single mile this year, so I think that goal is out of the picture. I may try to NOT run a single mile in 2019, but I'm signed up for a 5k so that could be hard.

Other than that:

1) Ride 5,000 miles, run 150 miles On track for the riding, not the running
    2) Improve on my half marathon PR (2:28, should be easy) probably punting on this one
    3) Find a new "biggest climb" bigger than Greylockdone
    4) Get my power/weight ratio over 4.0w/kg (currently about 3.55w/kg) by a combination of losing weight and building power.Last FTP test was two days ago, and I'm now up to 310, or about 3.65-7w/kg
    5) prep for what will now have to be a 2020 Everesting attempt by either doing a half Everest this season, or doing a ride with an equivalent-or-greater elevation gain, of 14,514 feet. my collarbone put a damper in this, so far my biggest 1-day elevation is about 10k feet this season
    6) Break 10 minutes on a Wachusett service road summit from the visitor's center to the top of the service road where it breaks off to the summit parking lot.Haven't had a chance to ride it once. I need to before year end, this may be attainable
    7) Climb more vertical feet than Chris, including his chairlift vertical feet, and get redemption for losing a bottle of scotch to him on betting on that this year. Chris is up by 20-40k feet right now. Attainable, but it'll take some work.
    8) Do a 200+ mile ride in a single day 165mi is the longest I've done this season, and this will have to be a next season goal simply because that was a 12-hour day and there isn't enough daylight in the days anymore, unless I find the world's flattest 200 mile course
    9) Don't get hurt! Yeah, about that.

Other goals I added since:

10) Break 55 minutes on Greylock I cut my PR down from 58:23 to mid-57:51 this spring, a PR I haven't been able to touch since 2016. My FTP is roughly 3% higher now so assuming that equates to a 3% faster time that implies I should be able to do 56 minutes flat in a max effort. I'm on a faster bike too and the top is pretty flat, so if I get a still day and have enough in the tank to hammer the big ring for the flat mile before the final kick, maybe...?
    11) Take the KOM on five segments up Winter Hill around my place. I've gone for two of them so far, and I'm 2-for-2 on them. Those were probably the easiest of the five though.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Been at it pretty decently since my Oregon trip despite mostly poor weather. On days I'm not really feeling it I've at least gotten out in the backyard with the dog and done some laps trying to work on manuals and bunnyhops as I haven't really learned good technique. (I mostly monstertruck on the trails). Also been doing some work on local trails adding some more difficult option lines to spice things up a bit. Unfortunately I landed a drop-gap a little sideways and absolutely mangled my back wheel. I'm not sure the rim is going to straighten out and I don't really have spare cash for a wheel build so I'm stuck to the rigid for the moment. Which is going to make fall riding a little more boring on one hand, but should also help fitness wise for next season.

My last couple fall/winters have been pretty lazy so I'm just going to go hard in the paint on fitness/technical skills and put myself in a good position for a great season on the trails next year.

Just went over 2000 km of cycling for the year - so I think I have a good shot at breaking my record.

Although right now I'm a bit slowed down because I just got a Lyme disease diagnosis. So 3 weeks of antibiotics it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Although right now I'm a bit slowed down because I just got a Lyme disease diagnosis. So 3 weeks of antibiotics it is...
    Ouch, that sucks - I honestly didn't know you guys had that in europe, or even ticks in general - I thought it was mostly an eastern US seaboard thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Ouch, that sucks - I honestly didn't know you guys had that in europe, or even ticks in general - I thought it was mostly an eastern US seaboard thing.
    Yeah we've got it here unfortunately, especially on the coast in southwestern Finland (where I spend a lot of time since I'm from there and my parents still live there). There's lots of deer and moose that spread the ticks everywhere.

Until I got the lab results I thought I'd never been bitten though, but evidently I've been at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Yeah we've got it here unfortunately, especially on the coast in southwestern Finland (where I spend a lot of time since I'm from there and my parents still live there). There's lots of deer and moose that spread the ticks everywhere.

Until I got the lab results I thought I'd never been bitten though, but evidently I've been at least once.
    Damn, man, that sucks.

Update on these two:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Other goals I added since:

10) Break 55 minutes on Greylock I cut my PR down from 58:23 to mid-57:51 this spring, a PR I haven't been able to touch since 2016. My FTP is roughly 3% higher now so assuming that equates to a 3% faster time that implies I should be able to do 56 minutes flat in a max effort. I'm on a faster bike too and the top is pretty flat, so if I get a still day and have enough in the tank to hammer the big ring for the flat mile before the final kick, maybe...?
    11) Take the KOM on five segments up Winter Hill around my place. I've gone for two of them so far, and I'm 2-for-2 on them. Those were probably the easiest of the five though.
    Greylock is really the imeptous here, as I went out west to ride it over the weekend. I lost my Live Segment track on the way up so I wasn't sure where I stood when I got to the top, save that it was almost certainly a PR... But, when I got back down and loaded it to Strava, I saw that I'd put up a time of 54:21, inside my 55 minute goal, and an improvement of 3 1/2 minutes, the single biggest improvement to my PR I've ever made on this climb. I was stoked. I celebrated with wings and a beer at the awesome pub on the other side of the mountain, and then by riding up a proper wall on the far side of the valley the next day.

As far as pacing strategy, for the most part I'm not sure it made a difference - I started the first grade too hard last time, coming out of Heritage State Park, and on this ride I was neck-and-neck with my prior PR on that segment. After that, though, the delta between my old PR and my new one was pretty linear, so while I was more conscious about punching it and making sure my power output didn't drop off too much on the rare flat/more gradual inclines, it also looks like I was just climbing faster, period, so even on the steep sections I was making up about the same amount of time. The best sign I paced it right, IMO, was that there's a time trial race up the mountain and a Strava segment for every single mile of the climb, and I PR'd them all by about 30 segements, except for two - the first mile (where I felt like I'd started too hard last time, and despite feeling more measured this time only missed my PR by a second), and the "GL Summit Sprint," the last .75mi to the summit, where I always try to dig in and sprint it, and I DID PR it, but only by 2 seconds, when I tried to get my wattage up to 400w for the last turn to the end (couple hundred yards) and my legs just went "lolnope." I hit the top thinking I'd missed my goal, but also thinking I couldn't better that effort by more than a couple seconds this season and if I missed it, it was gonna have to wait till next season.

Also, I made a run at the third segment I'm chasing this season in my 'hood, and am now 3rd of 757, one second off the KOM. I think I can take this one with another try or two, but I want to hit it during daytime when the road is really quiet so it's going to depend on finding a good day as much as my conditioning.