2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

1. Bike for 1500 miles before the end of the year.
    2. Do at least one >50 mile ride.
    3. Ride the entire MTB trail near me - even the wood berm that scares me.
    4. Lift on a regular basis. Gain muscle. I've noticed as I get older that it's easier to lose what I have than to gain it.
    5. Start jogging. Nothing drastic, but just start.
    6. Play tennis with my daughter more, so she gets better when she plays for her High School team.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor 777 View Post
    2. Do at least one >50 mile ride.
    Pace yourself, stay hydrated, and make sure to get enough nutrition (several of us can help you with in the saddle nutrition options if you'd like). If you ride five days a week, at least an hour a ride, then you can finish a metric (100km, or roughly 62mi).

3. Ride the entire MTB trail near me - even the wood berm that scares me.
    Is it a skinny with turns in it, like this?

If so, the best advice I ever got is to NEVER touch your front brake, and use your rear brake as a rudder. If it's got the humps in it, like in the background of that picture, then pump it.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    3) Complete a 150 mile road ride (current best: 129.3 miles)
    That reminds me, I want to do a 200 mile ride - I added that as a goal.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Pace yourself, stay hydrated, and make sure to get enough nutrition (several of us can help you with in the saddle nutrition options if you'd like). If you ride five days a week, at least an hour a ride, then you can finish a metric (100km, or roughly 62mi).

Is it a skinny with turns in it, like this?

If so, the best advice I ever got is to NEVER touch your front brake, and use your rear brake as a rudder. If it's got the humps in it, like in the background of that picture, then pump it.

No, it's not a skinny, although we do have those, but our skinnies are essentially landscape timbers (so maybe 8" wide). We do have some wider (like the ones in your photo) - this past year and this upcoming Spring there has been/is going to be a lot of updates in our trails. They are adding jump areas, trials areas, pump areas - I see signs for "Coming Soon" things.

I've ridden skinnies like those at other trails, but they weren't as long as that.

No, it's one of those banked corners - so you go into the berm and when you come out you've twisted 180 degrees and dropped about 10' (I think). MY problem is that our trails are built on hillsides, so if you are about to go into the berm but look straight past the entry, you are looking downhill. So if you f**k up and go off it, you are going downhill fast and into trees.

So it's a mental thing - I have to have confidence that I will actually turn my bars to follow the berm and NOT lock up and go straight and drop like a stone.

Regarding the 50 mile - it wasn't last year but I think the year before - I did either 26 or 30 miles but that's my farthest.

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor 777 View Post
    No, it's not a skinny, although we do have those, but our skinnies are essentially landscape timbers (so maybe 8" wide). We do have some wider (like the ones in your photo) - this past year and this upcoming Spring there has been/is going to be a lot of updates in our trails. They are adding jump areas, trials areas, pump areas - I see signs for "Coming Soon" things.

I've ridden skinnies like those at other trails, but they weren't as long as that.

No, it's one of those banked corners - so you go into the berm and when you come out you've twisted 180 degrees and dropped about 10' (I think). MY problem is that our trails are built on hillsides, so if you are about to go into the berm but look straight past the entry, you are looking downhill. So if you f**k up and go off it, you are going downhill fast and into trees.

So it's a mental thing - I have to have confidence that I will actually turn my bars to follow the berm and NOT lock up and go straight and drop like a stone.

Regarding the 50 mile - it wasn't last year but I think the year before - I did either 26 or 30 miles but that's my farthest.
    Just follow somebody in to match speed and keep your body in your normal attack position (Parallel with bike). As you leave the wall ride simply shift your body weight highside and push the bars and pedals so that bike realigns with the ground. It's really no different than your average berm other than gauging speed more accurately. The main things you want to avoid is turning the bike under you and putting your body weight highside like you would in a flat corner as you'll lose all your traction, and it's better to air on too slow than too fast if you can't get a tow in.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

1. Lose all the weight I've gained over the past 2 weeks (and will gain today, tomorrow, and Friday) within the next month (or two if I've gained way more weight than I'm guessing)
    2. Keep up what I've been doing: a minimum of 60km run (and/or jogged) each week. So I guess that's about 3,000km run for the whole year.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

1. Lose at least 10kg weight.
    I am at 94.5 kg at the moment, which is the highest I have been in YEARS.
    Within this year, I must get below 85.

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

Continue my weightloss (I've shed 21lbs since May) and improve my fitness. My aim isn't so much for a target weight, but I want shot of the spare tyre and to be able to get back into my 32" trousers and medium t shirts. I'll be continuing the healthier eating that I've been doing, plus adding in some more exercise, but I'm guessing I'll probably need to lose another stone to a stone and a half, depending on how much muscle I put back on.
    I'm so metal I shit bats