2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

You know, one suggestion on goal setting for you guys, straight out of the business world with all its management theory mumbo-jumbo, but one that I actually think is pretty decent:

It helps to set measurable goals. "Get in better shape" isn't really measurable because there isn't a good way to quantify what that means. "Get from a 36 waist to a 32 waist" or "run a sub-8-minute-mile 5k" are measurable, though, since you can tell if you've accomplished them in black and white terms. The vaguer and harder to quantify a goal is, the less likely you are to actually achieve it.

Definitely worth thinking about.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor 777 View Post
    No, it's one of those banked corners - so you go into the berm and when you come out you've twisted 180 degrees and dropped about 10' (I think). MY problem is that our trails are built on hillsides, so if you are about to go into the berm but look straight past the entry, you are looking downhill. So if you f**k up and go off it, you are going downhill fast and into trees.

So it's a mental thing - I have to have confidence that I will actually turn my bars to follow the berm and NOT lock up and go straight and drop like a stone.
    Oh, one of these:

When I started mountain biking, that one freaked me out for half of a year. I realize that it's almost impossible to go too fast, but my mind kept telling me I was gonna launch right off the thing and into the trees.

BBM already gave some great advice, so I'll simply say go high. The further up you are, the more stable you'll be. Definitely commit, though, since I've seen plenty of riders not go far enough up, cross that joint in the middle where the angle changes, and completely eat it. Wiping out on wooden features fuckin' hurts.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You know, one suggestion on goal setting for you guys, straight out of the business world with all its management theory mumbo-jumbo, but one that I actually think is pretty decent:

It helps to set measurable goals. "Get in better shape" isn't really measurable because there isn't a good way to quantify what that means. "Get from a 36 waist to a 32 waist" or "run a sub-8-minute-mile 5k" are measurable, though, since you can tell if you've accomplished them in black and white terms. The vaguer and harder to quantify a goal is, the less likely you are to actually achieve it.

Definitely worth thinking about.
    Completely agreed. The thing is, that only with and for a measurable goal you will notice PROGRESS. And only then you stay motivated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    I noticed in the 2018 thread that a lot of guys here do cycling/running and so that makes up the majority of the fitness on here, but since this is the 'workout goals' thread, I'll post about my shit too
    I've been doing powerlifting/strength training since late October, partly as a vanity thing, partly to make up for starting out skinny and weak.
    Last time I was measured (Early December), my weight was 82.7kg overall and my muscle mass was 69.7kg.
    By June, I'm aiming to reach 75kg muscle mass.

By then, I guess these are the weights I want to be lifting:
    -Squat + Deadlift: 100kg, maybe higher for DL (Currently 65kg)
    -Bench press: 50kg as a starting point, may increase though. (Currently 35kg)
    -Overhead press: 45kg (Currently 22.5kg)
    -Barbell row: 45kg~ (Currently 27.5)

I usually step it up by 2.5kg each week, depending on how well I can handle the lift, but I realise it'll get harder the heavier I go, so I'm slightly lowballing to give myself a bit of space. If I can, I'll step it up, but if not, no biggie.
    I do a bit of strength training in addition to running, tennis and cycling. Previously I also played football (the type you play with your feet) for about 20 years, so I guess you could say my training regime is quite diverse.

I guess my goals could be:

Running:
    Finally beat a 45 minute 10k and 20 minute 5k - my current PR's are 45:18 and 20:08

Strength training:
    Get my bench press to 3x5 with 85 kg or so - currently at 3x5 with 76 kg
    Increasing the amount of chin ups I can do. Used to be able to do a lot more, but now I've been stuck at 3x10 for a long time.
    Don't know about goals for squats and deadlifts - I'm currently at 3x5 with 102.5 kg for squats and 90-something for squats, but have been changing to longer sets lately.

Cycling:
    Cycling to work all year and go on some longer rides from time to time.
    Probably do something similar to the cycling trip in the archipelago that we did last summer.

Tennis:
    Participate in some tennis tournament. I'll have to check what's available.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ibanez RGD Prestige
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I do a bit of strength training in addition to running, tennis and cycling. Previously I also played football (the type you play with your feet) for about 20 years, so I guess you could say my training regime is quite diverse.

Strength training:
    Get my bench press to 3x5 with 85 kg or so - currently at 3x5 with 76 kg
    Increasing the amount of chin ups I can do. Used to be able to do a lot more, but now I've been stuck at 3x10 for a long time.
    Don't know about goals for squats and deadlifts - I'm currently at 3x5 with 102.5 kg for squats and 90-something for squats, but have been changing to longer sets lately.
    Nice weights! I can't do chin ups at all All a process, I guess.
    How long have you been lifting?
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

ME: Kiesel Vader 7X
    MA: Alhambra
    MB: MIDI
    Rig: Line 6 Helix

My goal is to keep exercising every day and lose 10 pounds. I'm also gonna run my first marathon next fall.
    My music Youtube|Spotify

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    Nice weights! I can't do chin ups at all All a process, I guess.
    How long have you been lifting?
    Hard to say. I first started in high-school (so 13-14 years ago) but it's been very on and off since then - basically lifting for a few months and then taking a break for 9 and then starting again. I've now been trying to train a bit more regularly since last May.

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Precision
    Rig: Sunn

Kinda late to this one, but after just maintaining a good routine as much as possible last year (due to too many injuries in 2017). My aim is, for the first half of the year at least, to do a cut to get down to 10% Bodyfat in time for my wedding in April, probably about 15% at the moment so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to do it... Though the diet has had a horrible effect on my times and ability to lift I guess this was always to be expected.

Other things I'm doing is cutting out alcohol completely and eating less meat (though this is more for environmental reasons than health). But really nothing too exciting for me this year again other than just chipping away and keeping a good routine whilst trying to not pick up any injuries along the way.