NBD: 2020 Specialized Venge Pro - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBD: 2020 Specialized Venge Pro

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Don't you know that your bike is supposed to cost more than your car? For me that's easy because I don't own a car.
    To be fair, my son's strider bike is worth more than Drew's car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    STILL just one goddamn pic? I ought to Simmons you.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

Very nice bike! Happy NBD!

And for those that see $8000 for a bike being a lot - yeah, before I was into bikes, I would have thought that to be an insane amount. Now that I'm into them and know what all the parts and bits cost, it doesn't shock me...

Not that I'd be able to swing $8000 for a bike, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Holy crap, even in the days of my MTB obsession – early 90s, then my obsession became the electric guitar – I would totally have understood dropping 8k on a bike! Drew knows more about inflation than I ever will, so I guess even with economies of scale in force the question could easily be what he would have bought if money were really no object?

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Holy crap, even in the days of my MTB obsession – early 90s, then my obsession became the electric guitar – I would totally have understood dropping 8k on a bike! Drew knows more about inflation than I ever will, so I guess even with economies of scale in force the question could easily be what he would have bought if money were really no object?
    Perhaps this:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pin...Road-Bike/MI7D
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    That stupid fucking kink in the top tube.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Usually on cutting edge outdoor equipment, if you are a regular customer, you either haggle or get the shop to throw in extras on the super high end stuff. I'm not a biker, but that's how it works on kayaks and skis and climbing equipment.

Independent/Local Outdoor shops have their own culture. It's even more complex than guitar shops. If you subscribe to Outside, the Buyers guide edition is always a huge shock with "holy shit, people actually buy this stuff". It's an intensive and time honored ritual. Especially in western resort outdoor towns. If it's you first time buying at that shop, you have to do the obligatory 30 minute intro cool guy routine.

The key is name dropping demoing at least 2-3 more expensive products at other stores before letting the employees in on what you are actually in the market for. Mention how you took an even more expensive model for a spin at another shop and it was a religious experience, but hey, today is kind of casual, and even though you are normally looking at that kind of shit, today you are interested in something cheaper but still exorbitantly expensive.

It's super elitist, we are talking about the level of outdoor equipment elitist that considers The North Face and Columbia brands for amateurs. If you think guitarists name drop model names and shit, just wait until you go into a local outdoor shop. Employees at outdoor shops case customers like crazy. It takes a 30 second visual scan to know every brand they are wearing. Any elitist product based activity is like that; guitars/cameras/etc. etc. but outdoor equipment is the most intense. That's a requisite skill for any serious outdoor sport, glancing at fellow enthusiasts and knowing every single piece of equipment they have on their person or are using within 30 seconds.

You never go into a shop and outright say what you are interested in getting, you just wander around for 15 minutes first and then act like it just kind of caught your eye and isn't up to the caliber of the stuff you normally buy but you have time to kill and are going to check it out.

You have to be prepared, if the employee is getting the upper hand on you with the haggling you have to whip out your beat up nalgene with a ton of stickers on it. Make sure they catch all the stickers. Black Diamond and Mammut stickers are like, requisite. You have to have the right stickers and an encyclopedic knowledge of brands. Patagonia can be risky. Patagonia is the patron brand of people even tree huggers consider "too tree huggery".

If the Nalgene isn't enough, you have to reach into your pocket and pull out a cliff energy shot and rip off the tab with your teeth and suck it down. Those things are gross as fuck, but pretending to enjoy them is a mandatory outdoor skill.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Once you buy an $8,000 Bike, that's the second highest level of outdoor elitism.

The only higher level of elitism is making every vacation you take heli-skiing centric and act like heli-skiing in general is a sound investment.

Even then, the outdoor elitism police will revoke your elitist license if they catch you shopping at a store that isn't the local co-op.