NBD: 2020 Specialized Venge Pro - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NBD: 2020 Specialized Venge Pro

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Once you buy an $8,000 Bike, that's the second highest level of outdoor elitism.

The only higher level of elitism is making every vacation you take heli-skiing centric and act like heli-skiing in general is a sound investment.

Even then, the outdoor elitism police will revoke your elitist license if they catch you shopping at a store that isn't the local co-op.
    I have at least 4 bikes worth $8000+, what level am I at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have at least 4 bikes worth $8000+, what level am I at?
    Road bikes or mountain bikes? Generally, you don't get any elitist points past the first $8000 bike. Honestly at that point you should have just used those funds to move to one of the mandatory elitist nexuses. Park City (metropolitan area closest to Moab), Boulder, Jackson, Mammoth, Lake Tahoe, Bozeman, etc. Although Boulder has gone so elitist these days it's actually a parody of outdoor elitism.

And if you skipped the step where you get specially molded ~$300 insoles from an orthopedic doctor and went straight to the $8000 bike you get downgraded to the third highest level.

Also, if you own any casual pants that don't have a gusseted crotch that's an immediate downgrade. Real outdoorsman only wear pants with gusseted crotches, in case they have to do something extreme while enjoying an IPA.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I wasn't going to mention the price since unless you're really into bikes it's going to seem ludicrious, but believe it or not, this was me being responsible - under the paint there's no difference between this frame and the S-Works version of the frame (not normally the case with Specialized), and if I was to custom build one on the S-Works frame it would have had virtually the same specs as this, and would have cost about as much as the off-the-rack Dura-Ace S-Works build, at an eye-watering $12,500. It's an insanely nice frame, a killer build, and unlike the S-Works version (which thanks to Dura-Ace is lighter, but with a 64mm wheel depth vs the Pro's 50mm, is going to be a little twitchy on fast mountain descents) probably a better all-arounder, while the S-Works is totally optimized for flatter conditions and all-out sprinting.

It's an absolutely STUPID-nice bike, and on the short list of frames that could plausibly argue they're the fastest in the pro peloton (the Dogma F12 mentioned here is another contender, but dear god, that top tube). And, considering a custom build starting with an S-Works frame and building it up to the same specs probably WOULD come out around $12k if I sourced everything myself (meaning this is as cheap as you can get onto this frame), it's actually, in the perverse world of high-performance bikes, rather a lot of bike for the money, which yes I'm teeing Garrett up perfectly by sayiing.

At the end of the day, though, this is a fuckton of money to spend on a bike, and if you're looking for something to commute to work on or go for the occasional jaunt on your bike path just to get a little bit of exercise, this is definitely not a bike you should be looking at. I've been commuting on my Diverge on a set of slicks, which is far heavier and slower (not a bad thing in traffic), and that's still going to be my "daily" ride for the most part, and will still be the one I take out on group rides when I'm with riders of widely varying strength. The Venge is designed to go extremely fast, and if you're just tooling around a bike path on one of these, yeah, you're going to look like a douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    To be fair, my son's strider bike is worth more than Drew's car.
    It's true. Though, any day now I can apply for Mass "classic" plates!
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    STILL just one goddamn pic? I ought to Simmons you.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I picked it up Wednesday night when it was too dark and overcast to take pictures, then left for Acadia, with my gravel bike, right after work n Thursday morning. I got back after dark on Sunday night, and then went straight to work this morning. I have this fucking amazing road bike, that thus far I've logged a whopping 7 miles on because I simply haven't been home or anywhere I could take to ride it since I got it. And tonight its going back to the shop to put a longer stem (and the integrated Garmin mount, which thankfully also can take a light mount adapter on the underside) on it, so maybe I can snag a quick one tonight on the way over, but I'll be lucky if I can even get the mileage up to double digits before Wednesday, lol.

Finally got a halfway decent daylight picture:

Venge_sun.jpg

You can see the way the light plays off the carbon.

She's fast as hell too - I've taken her out for two rides now, and on each sprinted up one of the hills in my neighborhood at either the start or finish of the ride. On both, I came away with a new Strava KOM, the fastest recorded time on that segment. Part of it is all the training I did in the offseason and the fact I've been riding a LOT this year, but I'd be lying if I said part of it wasn't the bike.