1 month clean
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 month clean

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

1 month clean

About a month ago I was in the hospital for a serious case of food poisoning. It was a day of puking and a week of non stop shitting.

The one positive thing it did for me was to cleanse my body of all toxins. I can no longer eat greasy , or fried foods. They physically make me feel ill. I attempted to drink coffee and stopped at half a cup. The half and half was too thick and again made me feel ill.

I used to eat a lot of fast food. Never french fries but the sandwiches. And drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day.

I am not fat but 10-15 lbs out of shape. A month ago I was always tired and bloated. Now after no coffee and no fast food, I actually feel great. People always say you are what you eat. Its true.

My food intake consists of a lot of chicken, turkey, salad, beans and granola bars. What other options are there to eat healthy?

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

That sucks, and I suppose turned out awesome?

Sucks that coffee makes you feel that way!

Granola bars aren't healthy. At all. It's just fiber and sugar disguised as vitamins and minerals and perceived goodness. Some people find that foods fried in nut-based oils are what gives them indigestion and issues. Foods fried in things like olive oil and lard are actually good for you. Those fats are good for the body. Please don't fall into the "fats are bad" health-camp, because humans have been ingesting animal fats for 200,000 years, and if they were bad for you, we'd find records of heart disease in the bones of our ancestors. Fun fact, we don't

Anyways, kudos for the new lifestyle! Really, cutting fast foods alone is an amazing accomplishment. Try to bring the coffee back in. In my own experience, milks and creams that are "ultra-pasteurized" are the ones that give me stomach problems. It's like a higher temp pasteurization that ends up breaking things down further and creating some weird chemicals in the milk. Find a good cup of coffee, and then find a good milk to add in!

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Good for you man, I know staying clean is the hardest part. I always seem to slip up, though I can go for a long time if I'm dieting correctly. For me, low calorie and high protein with greens seems to work. Fish, steak, chicken, eggs, nuts, and tons of greens. I always keep sweet peppers in the house too in case I get munchy. When I can keep to this kind of pseudo-ketogenic diet, I feel so much better and the pounds come off.

Now if I could just stick to it!

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

In my experience, the big no-noes are big doses of refined sugars, limiting sodium intake and, in general, any processed foods (nitrates and nitrites).

Super simple rules, the issue is that MOST stuff Is loaded with one or all those things to either enhance/mask taste or enhance shelf life. For me, I stopped adding any of that stuff to my food (so no sugar in coffee or lemonade, no salt on eggs or potatoes, etc), and I try to stick with food with simple ingredients. Instead of potato chips or crackers, a banana or green beans. Instead of a burger, a steak and instead of bacon, pork chops. Just cutting out the amount of stuff in it before you make it and cutting down on what you put in it.

I don't love coffee either, tbh. With no sugar or cream it's okay but not my first choice. After I cut out the additives, I usually have unsweetened ice tea in them morning, which has a comparable amount of caffeine and for me, if it's chilled well, it's as refreshing as the coffee was hot.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Try to bring the coffee back in.
    Why? I used to rely on coffee for energy ,crash and repeat. Now I feel good all day, why go back?

Yeah, I am trying to keep my food simple with limited amount of ingredients. Nuts is not something I thought about and is a great snack idea!
    Granola bars; this is what I eat daily https://www.naturevalley.com/product...s-apple-crisp/ I do not think they are bad? My son loves them too

It feels very strange not eating or wanting fast food. It has been apart of my diet since I was a kid. Fast food would be breakfast and lunch on the weekends when I lived with my parents. Believe it or not, I actually feel happier too. Maybe thats from having energy? Who knows. Food poisoning was the best thing to happen to me.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I'm doing a PhD in food technology, so I have a bit of insight into nutrition from a scientific point of view (although I'm not a nutritionist by any means). In general you can say that it's good to avoid excess sugar, so the amount of candy, cake, soda etc you consume should be as low as possible. Fast food that doesn't fill you up while having a huge energy density is also something that's good to avoid. After that it gets more complex.

What most people in the west are hugely lacking in is dietary fiber, the intake of which is really clearly associated with a reduced risk of diabetes, colorectal cancer and obesity. Fiber is good for gut function, it reduces the energy density of food (i.e. fills you up with less calories), and is food for the good bacteria in your gut. The final point is something that's received more and more attention lately, as there's now a lot of evidence that gut microbiota has a huge effect on health.

Of course, saying you should eat more fiber is a bit simplified. The type and source are also important, and it's also most likely important to get a good mix of different fibers. So a mix of wholegrain, nuts, vegetables, legumes will give you a nice mix of fiber and other nutrients. The thing with fiber is that at least part of the health benefit can come from components connected with certain fibers, like phenolic compounds, so a pure fiber might not give the same benefits as e.g. cereal bran or whole nuts.

When it comes to wholegrain cereals, the processing also has an effect on how good they are for you. If you have a very finely ground flour where the structure of the grain is totally broken down, it will give a faster blood sugar response than a more coarsely ground. Therefore when it comes to cereals, something like oat porridge made of wholegrain flakes is better than a puffed wholegrain. On the other hand, if you absolutely want to eat puffed cereals, a wholegrain one is most likely better than one made of white flour. This is also part of the reason that you can't just talk about carbs in general being good or bad, it all depends on the type and the matrix. Personally, based on the scientific literature available I'd say that eating good quality carbs as part of a varied diet is good for you. What many people forget is that cereals aren't 100% starch either, e.g. oats can contain up to 20 % protein, up to almost 10 % fat, and 10-ish % fiber - so about half of the weight of wholegrain oats is actually carbs.

When it comes to protein, eating a relatively high amount can help with weight loss because its satiety response. However, overdoing it causes stress on your kidneys so in the long term eating excess protein should be avoided

When it comes to eating or not eating animal fats, that is a bit tricky. There's epidemiological studies that indicate that vegetarian diets are healthier than meat containing diets. However, with these types of statistical studies it can be difficult to control all relevant factors and they don't reveal any mechanisms. Of course, from a environmental POV it's better to eat less meat than most people in western countries do (and eat better quality, not factory grown meat). Fish is pretty indisputably good for both health and the environment unless you eat some overfished species.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post

Yeah, I am trying to keep my food simple with limited amount of ingredients. Nuts is not something I thought about and is a great snack idea!
    Granola bars; this is what I eat daily https://www.naturevalley.com/product...s-apple-crisp/ I do not think they are bad? My son loves them too
    The amount of sugar is on the high-side there (looking at the nutrition information about 25 % of the product is sugar). Otherwise i'd say they're not too bad - certainly better than eating a candy bar. So if it is more like a treat and you eat one or two a day, i'd say they're a pretty good alternative, definitely when compared to eating one or two Mars bars a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    When it comes to protein, eating a relatively high amount can help with weight loss because its satiety response. However, overdoing it causes stress on your kidneys so in the long term eating excess protein should be avoided
    Yikes, I have been eating chicken and/or turkey (mainly chicken) 2x a day. Is this considered to be excess?

Dietary fiber; my primary doctor tells me this every time I see him at my annual physical. Year after year I have borderline high cholesterol. Hopefully this change will help knock it down

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge