Single speed mountain bike - terrible idea? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single speed mountain bike - terrible idea?

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

I'd go with whichever is easier to get spares for (derailleur hangars, etc) and service in the event that you have an issue with the frame.

My downhill bike is from a Canadian company (Devinci) and as a result it's an extra expensive, time-consuming pain in the ass to get spare parts for it. I love the bike, but if I had a mulligan I'd just buy a Santa Cruz again simply because it's easier to get parts for them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

I have a trek superfly ss and love it. It’s a great mountain bike and I often used it as a commuter too. I’ve ridden a kona unit and it was sweet as well. The dropouts on the trek are next level, but really anything horizontal is ideal and you can get away without dropouts if chain tension isn’t a huge deal( or you can use a tensioner). I personally prefer rigid unless it’s a serious trail. My bike weighs roughly 25lbs with enduro tires. There were a lot of options in the ss hardtail market like 5 years ago so finding a used frame with good geo shouldn’t be too hard. Specialized Cruze was another one I tested that I liked but I got a sweet deal on the trek when they discontinued the model.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Surly is a cheap brand making bikes out of a bunch of welded steel tubes. They're heavy and durable, but I've never heard expensive used to describe them. They're definitely the hipster brand of bikes, since they make all sorts of weird niche stuff. Their parent company owns Salsa, so whenever Surly stumbles upon something that becomes popular (like fat bikes), then Salsa usually comes up with aluminum and carbon models.
    Only other thing I'll add is the guys at Surly are supposed to be a blast - they come into town once a year to do a small group ride with my shop and my shop is trying to invite me along for the next one even though I don't ride a Surly. They take turns towing a beer cooler behind them while they ride, it's THAT kind of an outing.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Only other thing I'll add is the guys at Surly are supposed to be a blast - they come into town once a year to do a small group ride with my shop and my shop is trying to invite me along for the next one even though I don't ride a Surly. They take turns towing a beer cooler behind them while they ride, it's THAT kind of an outing.
    So it's exactly like Dave said - they do hipster things to appeal to hipsters.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Yeah, well the Surly is more expensive than the Kona that's also just a bunch of steel tubes welded together, so I'll probably go with the Kona. I'm still not at the level where I consider a 1500€ bike cheap.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    So it's exactly like Dave said - they do hipster things to appeal to hipsters.
    I mean, basically, but they're supposed to be a fuckin' LOT of fun to drink with!

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

The Unit's a good bike and you won't be disapointed. Just make sure to upgrade the brakes if you're going to hit the trails. Those tektros are fine for commuting but you'll want more modulation and power for dirt. Even just an upgrade to some M6000s or SLXs will make a huge difference without a big cost to your budget.