2020 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 "Get In Shape" Workout Goals Thread

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    First thing's first: Exercise sucks. Balls.

I decided last year that, on Black Friday, I would finally get an elliptical. I'm 50, and it's about fucking time I realized that I need some exercise.

I hate it. I really do. But, I've been getting on it almost everyday. Today was a personal best to 2.5 miles in 20 minutes with a varying degree of resistance.

Oh, my goal for 2020? Don't die on the elliptical. Outside of that, just keep pushing my limitations.
    Definitely keep pushing on the eliptical, seeing as you own one, but for me the critical part was finding something I ENJOY that kept me fit. I tried to stay fit running for years and just couldn't do it, but as soon as I got into road biking, it became easy.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I guess I can put some goals together for this season.

*Break 52 minutes on the North Adams side of Greylock
    *Break 52 minutes on the Lanesboro side of Greylock
    *Either half-Everest, or break 15,000 feet in a single ride
    *Take the remaining three KOMs I targeted in my neighborhood from last season, while holding on to the two I have
    *Break 4.0w/kg
    *do a 200-mile one day ride

No distance goals, I've left a 5000 mile and 100/week goal on Strava but I'm just going to ride and let the numbers come in where they may. I just want to get stronger and faster, both on short uphill sprints (my neighborhood KOMs) and long climbs.

These are subject to revision as the season goes on and I have a few goals that don't really fit in neatly here (a respectable finish at Rasputitsa, justifying my 18mph pace group in the B2VT, hammering the Raid Rockingham course and shaving as much time as I can off my PR on the Strava segment for that course, etc) or aren't really performance based (juggle some aggressive cycling goals wiith making sure my girlfriend feels like I'm spending enough time with her, getting her out for more rides and making them gradually longer and faster) but it's a start.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I still plan to finish a half marathon one of these days too, so that's another goal. Just tough to do both MTB and running. Neither are good on the knees and MTB always wins.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I still plan to finish a half marathon one of these days too, so that's another goal. Just tough to do both MTB and running. Neither are good on the knees and MTB always wins.
    Go for it! I think you wouldn't necessarily need to run that much to be able to do it. I've ran about 200 km per year for the last few years, and have been able to run half-marathons (or right thereabouts) just fine without any extra preparation. You'll probably need a few 10k:s to get used to running, but probably not much more than that as you've clearly got the cardio from cycling.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Go for it! I think you wouldn't necessarily need to run that much to be able to do it. I've ran about 200 km per year for the last few years, and have been able to run half-marathons (or right thereabouts) just fine without any extra preparation. You'll probably need a few 10k:s to get used to running, but probably not much more than that as you've clearly got the cardio from cycling.
    I have the cardio already, and generally do a few 10ks a year anyway. It's just my knees - I ride a lot of downhill/enduro all year long, and all those big jumps and hits beat the shit out of me. I don't run out of stamina when i'm running, I run out of pain tolerance. It's not "ooh that's sore", it's "ouch that fucking hurts".

I'm good for 5-6 miles but once I start to get tired, my form suffers (like everyone) and I end up with sore-knee-itis.

ME: Sterling JP70
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: MB TriAxis > 50/50

I was doing pretty good a couple years ago, went from like 220lbs to 173lbs at my lowest. Was hiking regularly and lifting weights. Then my wife got sick, and work stress accumulated; so there was a lot of sedentary time, caretaker time, and drinking time. I've gained about 10lbs back and have started to decondition to a point that's starting to disgust me.

So, my wife and I together are focusing on getting our fitness back to what it was (which will help her illness). I need to hit a target weight of around 160lbs and I want to at least be routine with my weightlifting. I don't have a particular strength goal. I just want to be able to stick to the routine and see fairly steady increases in ability.
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Poser alert.

Only weaklings who don't listen to Manowar draw a distinction between "areas that are the gym" and "areas that are not the gym".

True brothers of metal who recognize the power of steel know that the entire world is your gym.
    Oh, I understand that the world is my gym. However, I have a problem. Ever since I wielded a mighty blue Jackson Rhoads in public, men want to be me, and women want to be with me. Can you imagine what would have happened if I put a sweet, sweet Franzetta sticker on it? I don't even want to consider it. Anyway, because of the Power of the Blue RhoadsTM, I'm unable to work out in public, I'm sure you can see the dilemma? My only safe harbor is the gym, which is generally free of connoisseurs of exquisite traditional metal and the axes used to forge it.

ME: 1 of 2
    MA: "Smokey"
    Rig: Peavey XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I pondered a treadmill, but I didn't want to have the impact that goes with it and the resulting wear on the knees. Thus, the eliptical. It's been good to have it, though. It got easier once I built up a little stamina and realized that it was okay to slow down when I got tired and wait for my second wind.

The big surprise for me was my awareness of dehydration. One attempt on the eliptical with tight calves was enough for me to say to myself on a daily basis "more water, less coffee"