Cheap bike recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap bike recommendations

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You have like 50k in amps, buy the damn giant you cheap asshole.
    I'm not spending my money, we're spending our money. I have to convince my wife that we should double our budget.

I also realize this is much like someone asking for pickup recommendations saying they've got a $100 budget, and me saying "just save up a little more and buy the $350 set of Lollar Imperials".

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Anything with a fork is going to be god awful and you're better off with something rigid.
    Don't they all have forks? Isn't that how the front wheel is attached?

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/tempt-2

I got my mom this for christmas a couple years ago. The spec is above average for the price (better than 2020 model) and is basically the floor for what I'd want to spend cash on. I'd spend the extra $$$ for a bike like this, or I'd just head to walmart.com and buy what is on sale. The difference in quality of frame in a Tempt 3 vs a walmart bike isn't worthwhile if the drivetrain is walmart quality. I'll also reiterate that craigslist is generally a gold mine for bikes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I think he means in that price range you should be looking at a rigid fork, as the cheap suspension forks aren't good. Unless you're mountain biking, suspension forks aren't really needed IMO.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Überschall View Post
    I'm not spending my money, we're spending our money. I have to convince my wife that we should double our budget.

I also realize this is much like someone asking for pickup recommendations saying they've got a $100 budget, and me saying "just save up a little more and buy the $350 set of Lollar Imperials".
    Nah, not even close. It's literally Rhythm in Jump vs. OFR.

Dimarzios are $100 and they sound good. $350 pickups also sound good.

$500 bikes are shit and will do everything shitty. A $1000 bike is right at the break point where you get an actual comfortable bike with decent stuff on it that will last a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I think he means in that price range you should be looking at a rigid fork, as the cheap suspension forks aren't good. Unless you're mountain biking, suspension forks aren't really needed IMO.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
    https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/tempt-2

I got my mom this for christmas a couple years ago. The spec is above average for the price (better than 2020 model) and is basically the floor for what I'd want to spend cash on. I'd spend the extra $$$ for a bike like this, or I'd just head to walmart.com and buy what is on sale. The difference in quality of frame in a Tempt 3 vs a walmart bike isn't worthwhile if the drivetrain is walmart quality. I'll also reiterate that craigslist is generally a gold mine for bikes.
    Liv and Giant are the same brand, thats a decent choice too (though the same applies to the fork). My wife has a top end Liv carbon CX bike and the thing is amazing.

Matt - something like this is $850.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/thrive-2-2020

The absolute entry level men's version is $650:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-3

If you don't want road bike style handlebars and prefer flat bars, this is $780 and infinitely better than everything in your first post.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-sl-3-2020

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Liv and Giant are the same brand, thats a decent choice too (though the same applies to the fork).
    It's heavy, but it's reliable. It works well enough for extra traction turning with bad form, heavily braking down hills, and being generally more comfortable when riding. My mom gets more out of a cheap but reliable suspension fork then she does out of a rigid fork. This one is actually pretty good except weight which isn't something my mom cares about or notices.