Metal Guitarist Forums banner

We need another "Dinner" thread

Tags
dinner
34K views 332 replies 53 participants last post by  Valtteri 
#1 ·
On the menu tonight...

Basil and garlic polenta cakes with a tomato cream sauce, french green beans and fresh grilled grouper. Lots of secret ingredients mixed up in there.

It was very good. And there are some leftovers!

See less See more
#7 ·
Think of fried grits.

Oh yeah, Chris is from Boston.

I don't even know what grits are!
Think of really tiny oatmeal made out of corn.

I don't even know what a corn is!
Think of peas, except yellow and harder, with a different taste.

I don't even know what a peas are!
Think of corn, except green and softer, with a different taste.

#9 ·
I'm sensing some circular reasoning* up in hurr. Dinner looks yummy, though.

We do need a dinner thread. Yesterday I made flank steak pinwheels with Allouette cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and wilted spinach. They were both pretty and delicious. Half of you would have been drooling on your keyboards, the other half would have to put your pants back on so that wouldn't happen again. :rofl:

*Okay, so it's not exactly circular reasoning. Shut up.

#12 ·
We do need a dinner thread. Yesterday I made flank steak pinwheels with Allouette cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and wilted spinach. They were both pretty and delicious.
That actually sounds really good.

Have you tried a variation of this with skirt steak?

Although I like flank, I tend to go with skirt as a substitute for a variety of recipes and reasons, a la tacos carne asada.

#13 ·
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I haven't tried it with skirt steak yet. It would definitely work, though. Flank steak was just on sale for an awesome deal. Also, it's a tiny bit tougher so it holds the shape nicely but it's tender after cooking.

Skirt steak for carne asada= :drool:

Jeez. Now I'm hungry although I just made delicious mushroom ravioli.

#16 ·
I haven't tried it with skirt steak yet. It would definitely work, though. Flank steak was just on sale for an awesome deal. Also, it's a tiny bit tougher so it holds the shape nicely but it's tender after cooking.

Skirt steak for carne asada= :drool:
Skirt steak WAS really cheap here a few years ago for some reason, one of the cheapest cuts probably because it wasn't highly in demand.

One thing that rocks with it is a good chimichurri. Hook that up on the pinwheel with some thin slices of smoked mozz, and you're in the game.

#17 ·
Update:

Here's tonight's dinner.

Grilled Cod "Kate Style" (something they do at my girlfriend's restaurant) that consists of panko breadcrumbs, artichoke hearts, feta, and a lemon butter basil sauce, accompanied with a side of broccoli rabe.

#19 ·
That actually sounds really good.

I grew up with the impression that good soups and stews were difficult to make, mainly because my mom emphasized that you needed to make the "stock" from scratch.

Now, I've learned a lot of the shortcuts!

There's an Irish Pub here in Jax that has a Guinness beef and barley stew that looks to die for; they were actually on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri, and he seemed pretty impressed. I've been there a few times, but have yet to try it.

#20 ·
Okay, so tonight we threw down a little.

My girlfriend just got done working 5 bar close bar shifts in a row, so this is our Friday night.

Basically, some roasted asparagus with parmesan and crumbled bacon with cognac marinated filets topped with a lump crab Bearnaise.

#21 ·
THis is my lunch at 10 30 at night. Nothing exciting except for the meat. I already ate most of it, but it was 500 calories of Chicken(white meat) with artichokes and tomatoes in some sauce. got it off of the publix website. Nice way to eat good food for cheap. Along with 2 peices of bread(a must in my family), A can of coke, and no matter what anyone says the spongebob mac and cheese is the best. A full box. Heart attack here i come! For desert, a twix ice cream bar. Becuase its monday!

#27 ·
That sounds pretty good! I love salmon and broccoli, and the combo goes great together. Was it the Kerrygold Irish butter? I like that stuff.

I can't do the low carb thing... I have to have carbs, or I can't lift, exercise, or train worth a shit.

That was actually dinner #1. Dinner #2 was just a few minutes ago, and it was chicken, spaghetti squash, and salad. I didn't bother taking a pic of that one.

#28 ·
I'm eagerly awaiting the post where jaxadam posts a pics of a bowl of Kraft macaroni and cheese and the caption is "Fuck it we're too busy to cook." :D

#33 ·
Well, it was pretty much going to be pretty good until I had a few friends stop by and fuck it up.

I basically ended up eating this at the counter while they drank beer and cranked rap on my TV, and then they proceeded to help themselves to whatever I wasn't eating at the time.

Then they ate leftovers in my fridge.

Then they cooked a freakin' California Chicken BBQ pizza I had in the fridge, and burned it.

Then they went for the chips, and ate that shit all over the sink (and floor, missing the garbage disposal the whole time).

Then they went outside to my garage pantry to see what else they could fuck up.

I finally convinced them to go over to my neighbor's house to take shots.

So I'm shit out of leftovers, pizza, and chips. But there's still some beer in the fridge that they brought over. And they're gone now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.