Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NBD: Cannondale Trail 7

15K views 359 replies 15 participants last post by  Dana 
#1 ·
Picked this up today to help losemygut. It's a 2015 model 29" med frame ( I dunno what Sasquatch needs a lrg or xl honestly.
The cannondale store had 10% off so the bike was $600 I got it for $540 with free t shirt and water bottle (which is just s cheapo and probably more of a water heater than anything, but better than nothing rite?)
Also got a helmet for 40% off.
So the grand total including tax here in ma for a $600 bike was $612.
Not bad.
Time to go ride.

The bike looks small in the pic, but the frame is just an inch short of my boy bits.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks dudes!!
Chris, I signed up, but not sure how to use it yet.
I also installed the app, but I'm not sure if it's different from the link you sent me?

Yeah, it's def weird. At 6"2 the med frame suits me well. I dunno who the hell would need an xl? Never mind a lg even...
Bike rides nice and is a good platform to upgrade if I decide to, which I probably will knowing me.

#8 ·
I use a Garmin GPS and then upload it to Strava, but the Strava app will do all the tracking you need by itself too. :yesway:

Strava's kind of like Facebook for athletes. You can follow people (which is kind of like the whole friend request thing), give them kudos (which are like Facebook likes), etc, etc. It's awesome, dig around on the website, there are shitloads of cool features. If you sign up for Instagram, you can sync your account with it and any pics you take w/instagram during your ride will automatically show up on the Strava activity.

You can see the list of people in the MG group here:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/33236/members

#15 ·
You can get all sorts of rad on a hard tail - more than enough to see if you'll need/want a full suspension down the road. My fatty is a hard tail (technically) and I spent the morning beating the shit out of myself on it on some pretty gnarly terrain. :yesway:

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
I need to ask all of you biking guys this. I want to use Strava but I don't have a smartphone - so I have to get some sort of GPS-equipped tracker. I looked in my iPod at the Strava site and got the list of devices that work w/Strava - some are GPS sports watches, some are GPS bike computers.

Are there any really good ones that don't cost an arm & a leg? I was looking at Amazon at some of the TomTom MultiSport watches, Garmin Forerunner watches and Edge bike computers, etc. There are so many options I don't know which way to go.

Originally thought about bike computer BUT then thought it might be nice to go the watch route & hopefully it can track my distance when I walk w/my wife.

Any thoughts? I don't like spending a lot on myself, but when I do spend I want to buy something decent so I may spend a little more than normal.

ALSO - how well does this stuff track in the woods? Hoping to get going on trails & quite a few are through the woods.

#17 ·
For running, this is the best option right now. Unfortunately it's only so-so for biking. Most sites will always want to track it as a run, but no matter what fitness site you use (MapMyRun, Garmin Connect, etc) you can change the activity type after you upload it and it'll be pretty close.

Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 220 - Black/Red Bundle (Includes Heart Rate Monitor): GPS & Navigation

For biking only, I used an Edge 500 for ages and loved it. For $200 it's the best entry level one there is IMO.

Amazon.com: Garmin Edge 500 Cycling GPS (Neutral Color): GPS & Navigation

The one I use now is the Edge 810, which I got this season because it has maps, turn by turn and a bunch of other features.

Amazon.com: Garmin Edge 810 GPS Unit with Heart Rate Monitor and Speed/Cadence Sensor: GPS & Navigation

For tracking in the woods, that's kind of where Strava is awesome. You will always get more GPS drift in the woods, and when the GPS loses lock and picks it back up, it just draws a straight ilne from where you lost signal to where it picked it up. Not a big deal on the road, but on twisty areas in the woods it's more of an issue. There are two ways to mitigate it though - one is Strava segments, which are submitted/ridden by tons of people. If you're on a segment and you lose lock, Strava is (usually) smart enough to realize that you're riding the segment and will give you the time/distance on it correctly. The other thing that helps is a Garmin speed sensor on the bike. A lot of folks use this one because it's inexpensive and does cadence too:

Amazon.com: Garmin GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Bike Sensor: Garmin: GPS & Navigation

The speed sensor + garmin is smart enough to know when you lose lock, and it'll track your wheel movement until it picks a satellite back up. That way you still get accurate time and distance. It's pretty clever, and with Strava they pair up pretty nicely.

#19 ·
Also - you can certainly use the Edge for running/walking too. It's the most reliable of Garmin's devices because the connection is just plain old USB. The 220 uses Bluetooth and the older ones use ANT+ which is a fucking pain in the ass. With the Edge, you just plug the fucker into your computer and it mounts like a plain old USB drive. Strava detects it with an agent and you can upload right from there with no hassle.

The 220 and 810 also have Bluetooth that can pair with your smartphone to upload remotely if you care about that sort of thing. It's dodgy but I use it a lot and I'd say 8/10 times it actually works, and the other two times it'll fail I just wait until I get home and plug it in.

#23 ·
NBD: cannondale trail 7

Lmao Yuuup

I knew when I bought the bike this would go along with it.

I can't very well buy a trunk rack when I have load bars

#24 ·
Lmao Yuuup

I knew when I bought the bike this would go along with it.

I can't very well buy a trunk rack when I have load bars
Do yourself a favor and get some padded shorts and a good seat. You don't have to spend a pile on either and it makes a freakin HUGE difference in how much you'll like your bike on the trail. :lol:

I tried a bunch of expensive high-end seats, and fortunately for me my ass tends to like this one. Anything is better than the stock stuff that comes on most bikes these days though. I have this same seat all 4 of my bikes and it's damn comfy. I've done multiple 8-hour rides on it and the only thing that was sore was my legs.

Amazon.com : WTB Pure V-Comp Saddle : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

#33 ·
Aaah, new bike growing pains. Probably just something in need of a quick adjustment - you'll want to do it again in like 100 miles too, once all the cables stretch out.

The good news is that none of it's really hard - eventually you'll want to learn to DIY but not on a brand new ride. The thing about MTBing is that you kinda learn to live with breaking shit all the time. :lol:

#34 ·
Lol yeah I'm not upset or anything. I know they're gonna take care of whatever it needs so no biggie.
Def don't want to start fiddling back there until I know what I'm doing, and rite now it looks like chinese writing to me haha

#35 ·
They also want the bike back after about 2 months to re adjust everything too.
Since the store is a mile from my work I'm just gonna drop it off at lunch and pick up after work so they have a few hours to get it all squared away

#41 ·
NBD: cannondale trail 7

Goin broke bro lol
J/k

Goin to work and hour early all week should pay for the Thule rack.

Yes the stock seat hurt my ass.

Skipping lunch a day will pay for the seat.
No biggie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.