Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Dan's Fat Bike Thread

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Surveyor 777 
#1 ·
Like I said in Chris' Fat Bike Thread, I ordered my Framed Alaskan Alloy early last week. I got the call Saturday morning that it was in & all put together. So here it is (sorry, some of the pictures are not great quality, at least on my screen):

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle frame

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle tire

Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle Bicycle frame

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Tire

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar

Tire Bicycle Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire

I'm not really a big fan of the grips (above). I don't really like the round grip that much. So I bought the grips (below). I saw it on the mtbr forum. They're very similar in shape to the grips on my Trek, which I like. They're made of cork, so they have a nice feel to them.

Font Material property Electronic device Audio equipment Brand

Overall I'm very happy with this. Note: the pedals on the bike are NOT mine and are NOT the final pedals. I asked for blue pedals but they didn't come in yet. So my LBS guy threw these on in the meantime.

I love the noise this thing makes when I'm rolling down the road - it sounds mean. I'm glad I went with the 2 chainrings - I can go just as fast as I can w/my MTB (20-25 mph), and I really don't notice it taking any extra effort. I have the tires pumped up to 20 lbs for the road but will drop it when I get to some dirt (which won't be for about 2 weeks - too darn busy).

Got it Saturday and took it for a ride as soon as I got home. Riding through a little park across the road (asphalt path) when I hear a tiny "pfff" and notice my butt sinking. Stop quickly and get off. I have a 1/4" stick that went through the tire and tube, so I have a flat & I've only been riding about 2 minutes or so. It was only about 1 1/2" long but it broke from it's branch or tree so it had a very sharp point & I never saw it until after I got the flat. So I picked the bike up & walked about 3/4 mile home. Patched it up quickly but didn't have much time to ride otherwise over the weekend.

Rode it to work yesterday and today, mainly because I am waiting to hear from the LBS as to when my pedals will come in. I'll stop there on the way home & get them swapped out.

I can't wait to get to the trails, but that won't be for another 2 weekends or so. I imagine this thing will just GRAB dirt and climb.

It is so fun. I feel just like a kid. When I'm at home I have to get my chores done quickly so I can go ride my bike.

See less See more
#4 ·
Fuck yes dude that looks ACE!! :metal: Tip: Don't mount your Garmin there, move it to the stem. That spot is a recipe for a broken GPS. I know this, because I went OTB with mine mounted there and broke it. :lol: This is the one I use on all my bikes:

Amazon.com : Bar Fly 3.0 MTB/CX Bicycle Computer Mount for Garmin GPS : Cycling Electronics Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

It is so fun. I feel just like a kid
Isn't it awesome? :lol: It's the best thing about fat bikes IMO. It's impossible not to have a big smile on your face when you're looking down at that ridiculous fuckin' tire.

I can't wait to get to the trails, but that won't be for another 2 weekends or so. I imagine this thing will just GRAB dirt and climb.
Yup. Low PSI + huge contact patch = grip for days.

Enjoy it man, plus you get the always-satisfying bonus of adding a new bike on Strava!

#7 ·
HOPEFULLY I plan to get out on the trails Saturday morning. Get up early & eat a bit of breakfast. Get on the fattie & bike a few miles to the trails. Hopefully beat the crowds there, since I'm self-conscious about how slow & careful I ride. Then get home & shower, since it's supposed to be hot & humid the next 3 days (90+ highs and dewpoints in the 70's). That's another reason to get out early.

Every day when I get home I look at it longingly, just waiting to ride.

Because of this (having the fattie) I bought road tires for the Trek & put them on a couple of days ago. It does take a bit less power to move and I am a couple of miles an hour faster but it just looks so odd. Granted they are supposed to be 2" wide (not sure I believe that) but I've been so used to looking at the 2.20" knobby that was on the front - now I'm looking at a skinnier smooth tire. Just looks odd. If it irritates me enough I'll switch it back, but I need to take a nice 12+ mile ride to see.

I put those Ergon cork grips on it. They're great for long-distance riding - the shape is similar to my Trek grips - but I'll find out how they are on the trails. I have a feeling I'll be putting my RaceFace grips back on. I'm sure I'll put the RF ones back on when I start wearing gloves, so I have room between the grips & the shifters.

#9 ·
Well, for what it's worth I hit the trails Saturday morning. Had my sackpack on my back w/a spare tube, my pump, a tire patch kit & the phone (in case I f**ked anything up). I had taken the Ergon cork grips off the day before & put the Raceface ones back on (that came w/the bike). The Ergon's are comfy for longer rides, but I figured my hands might be "wrenching" the grips, so I wanted the round grips on so I had the same "grab" no matter where my hands were.

I can tell it's been a while since I was on the trails. My first loop through the "easier" section was fairly slow & deliberate. I didn't know where I wanted the seat height so I dropped it low. My Trek has the quick-release clamp but the Framed has the standard get-your-multi-tool-out so you can loosen the bolt to adjust the height. That's a pain in the ass. Changed the height again & rode a ways. Still not right. Adjust again. And since the tool is in the sackpack I have to completely dismount and fish it out. Doesn't take a ton of time but nowhere near as quick as the QR on the Trek.

Anyway, first go was slow but that was fine. A couple areas w/big roots & rocks - came to a complete stop & walked it over. Next two loops I rode through. Saw the spot where I wiped out (last time) with my 29er. Locked up the brakes going down the hill. Back wheel came up a bit but my butt was far enough back that I adjusted & got the wheel back down. Laughed after that. Much easier to lock up the hydraulic brakes vs. the cable disk brakes on the Trek.

It does irritate me in a few spots where the trees are so damn close to the trail. I rubbed into the same tree twice. No blood but looked at the tree on the third pass. Could tell others have hit/rubbed there, since almost all the bark was gone from that spot.

Next time I'll drop the pressure in my tires to experiment. I rode about 3.5 miles on pavement to get there & just left it at ~18-20 psi. It rode fine but I want to see what it's like at about 10 psi.

Definitely more confident w/the fattie. It's a different feel than my 29er.

After I run it a few more times I'll be able to tell where I can really gear up & pick up speed. I just kept it in the small ring in front & stuck to about 3 rear cogs - was riding conservatively.

Saw 4 cars parked when I got there. Several people must have been walking the trails, since I only saw one other bike.

Fun but sweated my ass off. Was about 84 degrees and 70+ degree dew point. Eventually got into the mid-upper 90's later. Just did some road biking w/the 29er Sunday.

#13 ·
I always have the Garmin on the bike, but that's the problem - it's always on the bike. I get lazy and don't take it off & hook it up to the computer to download until it's got a whole bunch of dates on it. I should dump it tonight - going to rain all day so no biking.

Took the road tires off the Trek last night & put the knobbies back on - I couldn't stand looking at those road tires - it just felt weird to have them on a mountain bike. But at least I have the tires in case I buy a trainer & I know they fit.

Have to get my stamina back. Was doing really well, then last Thursday I didn't ride because of all-day rain, then was gone Friday-Sunday. When I got back to riding to work Monday morning I could tell I didn't have the same strength. Could be the lack of riding, plus that I don't eat nearly as much when we travel, plus not getting enough sleep. But need to get some miles up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.