Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Bike Recommendations

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bulletbass man 
#1 ·
So i've been commuting by bicycle for 6 weeks and pretty much plan to stick with it. Also have been getting into it a bit as a hobby and have been hitting a few trails near by. Mostly have been road biking however. I have a pretty solid import which I plan to keep as a loaner but am looking to invest a dual mtb/commuter. Price range would be 8-1400 but preferably closer to 1 k. I don't really need front shocks but wouldn't be opposed to them if they're quality. Prefer flat or riser bars but could always change that on my own in future. Needs to be able to take a beating (I'm trying to have fun with it). Ultimately I'm going to go around to the tons of portland bakeshops and try out bikes till I find one I really gel with, but I really have little idea where to start. My current bike has 32" wheels and I'd like to go with something much smaller for more maneuverability on trails.

#2 ·
If you don't need a front suspension, and you're mainly on the road, I'd get a cyclecross bike. I've got a Fuji Cross that I switch tires out on, depending on the ride. It's got 700x25c slicks on it most of the time, but it will take up to a 44c knobby tire.

Mine's a dropbar, but they make flatbar cross bikes, too. They really are the do it all bikes, since they handle paved roads, gravel, dirt, and light singletrack.

#4 ·
After trying a bunch of bikes i decided to keep using my commuter and get a dedicated mtb. Ended up with a trek superfly ss. SS is kicking my ass but the was part of the point with maintenance being the other. Managed to seperate my ac joint on a ride last week, so it and myself will be sitting out for a minute unfortunately. Love it cause it's pretty much the modern version of what I rode as a kid.

Attachments

#5 ·
New Drivetrain. The old cranks/pedals had taken enough pedal strikes so I ended up stripping the threads trying to remove the line pro pedals I had to recall. Managed to find these cranks 50% off on Jenson. Figured it was a good time to make the chainring green to match handlebars since I was already replacing the cranks. :metal: Threw a new chain on there as well.

Attachments

#9 ·
I switched to these a while back for flats, because they're super freakin' thin. I only run them on my DH bike now though (I clip in on everything else), so I have three extra pairs of them. :lol:

SHOP ULTIMATE PEDALS | Canfield Brothers Online Store
Those look nice, I might have to snag a pair for my road bike. I don't clip in because it is my everyday commuter too so carrying an extra pair of shoes all the time would be a pain.

#14 ·
I threw a set of these on a buddy's commuter bike a while back, as kind of a good compromise between a flat and a clipless - it's got a larger platform than the normal SPD pedal so if you're riding in flats it's a lot more managable, but it's still dual sided so you don't have to worry about which side you're trying to clip into.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/..._dc|pcrid|253659801802|pkw||pmt||prd|493072US

#15 ·
I threw a set of these on a buddy's commuter bike a while back, as kind of a good compromise between a flat and a clipless - it's got a larger platform than the normal SPD pedal so if you're riding in flats it's a lot more managable, but it's still dual sided so you don't have to worry about which side you're trying to clip into.

Shimano XT M8020 Trail Wide Platform Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
I use these, have done bike park laps with them in sneakers one time I forgot my shoes. Used to commute with them in dress shoes or sneakers. Definitely a good choice if you want a performance pedal but don't want to be married to clips for getting around town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.